Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I'm not sure that a box stitch really spreads the force that much, unless the material is pretty stiff. I think most of the force is concentrated on the nearest cross-member of the box. In that case, a bartack at the same position would be stronger. I think I remember some posts about using a box stitch with a bartack reinforcement at this point; you'd probably get about the same results with just the bartack.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i went back to backpackinglight.com & found the article where they tested different types of attachment stitching (in forums i searched for "box stitch").
    they were testing sewing webbing to lightweight materials like used on ultralight backpacks.
    they said most attachment failures were a failure of the lightweight material, not the stitching it`s self.
    so the results of their testing showed a box stitch to spread the force better on the lightweight material. also the bar tack concentrates so many holes in a small area that it weakens (cuts) the lightweight material, causing it to tear.
    but as far as sewing webbing to webbing...??? that`s not what they were looking at.
    so i`m still not sure what`s the strongest stitching method for sewing webbing together to form a loop & hold a persons weight.
    i know lot`s of people do it & don`t have a problem. i`ve done several that are still intact.
    i`m sure that my main problem on the one that came apart was that the stitching was too far & loose.
    but i`d still like to know the best stitch for webbing.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I've been busy lately, so I just now had time to consider what to do with my CC type buckles. I came up with an interesting alternative to Jeff's attachment plan.

Basically, instead of adding an extra piece of webbing, just tie your support cord onto the buckle via a sort of prusik. The width of the knot prevents the buckle from slipping sideways. That's the idea anyway. I haven't put it on a hammock yet (waiting for more webbing from Ed), but I think it should work.

If it works, it'll definitely be easier than extra webbing, and possibly lighter too.

I just posted some pics of the knot being tied.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I just realized that if you have free cord to work with, you can just tie a bight and wrap this knot like a normal prusik. Duh! I was planning around using the stock spectra on my HH ULB.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    bb... that`s pretty cool! if the extra wraps do keep it from sliding under weight & swinging, that`s going to be a great way to go!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just wanted to bring this back to the top since there's been discussion about the CC buckles on the Ring Buckle thread.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Where do you get the CC Buckles? I "Gooled" and even called CC. The only cinch buckles I found were those on "OnRope1". CC said they will not sell the buckles. OnRope1 requires a minimum of a $10.00 order and over $8.00 shipping. I'll order something else form them to cover the minimum order amount. Just wondering where everyone gets the CC buckles.

Also, how does Ed Spears connect his webbing to his hammocks?
    If you faint in the face of adversity, your faith is small--Solomon

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dog View Post
    Where do you get the CC Buckles? I "Gooled" and even called CC. The only cinch buckles I found were those on "OnRope1". CC said they will not sell the buckles. OnRope1 requires a minimum of a $10.00 order and over $8.00 shipping. I'll order something else form them to cover the minimum order amount. Just wondering where everyone gets the CC buckles.

Also, how does Ed Spears connect his webbing to his hammocks?
    OnRope1 is the only supplier that I am aware of. I've ordered from them a couple of times, and they do have a $10 minimum, but if you call they will ship via USPS and you can get a lower shipping amount.

Speer hammocks have their webbing tied to the hammock body.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, that's the place
    http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.p...d=118&parent=4

as far as attaching support webbing to the hammock, a popular & trust worthy way is to sew a loop (maybe 4" long) in the end of the webbing, & form a larks head. it constricts tightly & strongly on the hammock.
    if using rope on a buckle, a loop formed into a larks head is still a good way to attach the buckle to the hammock.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ed uses a knot in the end of his hammock, rather than whipping the end. Since the knot is there to act as a stop, he just sews the webbing into a loop, around the end of the hammock, tight enough that it won't slip over the knot.

I use the larkshead whether it's webbing or cord.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast