Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just got a second hand Hammock Gear Burrow 30

Hey everyone,

So I just got a new quilt. My first down quilt, so very exciting after hearing so much about it.

Here are the specs:
    • Hammock Gear Premium Burrow 30
    • Outer Dark Olive 10D
    • Inner Black 10D
    • Long
    • Wide
    • Sewn footbox
    • 950 down fill
    • Standard fill

After testing it a bit I had a few thoughts. So as you can see it's extra wide and long, which is really nice because I sometimes go tent camping as well. I have used my Snugpak top quilt for a while now, but that one is synthetic and rather heavy. I bought the Burrow for 200 dollars second hand. Not sure if this was a good deal but seeing as a new one is almost twice that I'm satisfied with that price. The Snugpak quilt is rather warm and doesn't need to be fluffed up to start using it. And the material seems more heavy duty. I was a bit afraid of tearing the 10D material at first, because it's so thin and soft. I tried to fluff the down as much a possible, but there always seems to be a spot that's see through. And that gets cold. The Snugpak quilt is made of one sheet of synthetic material and so does not have this problem. I'm worried I will need to keep fluffing up the down to keep me warm during the night.

So while I'm happy with the weight and quality of the quilt, I'm not sure if it was an upgrade for my sleeping system.
    Maybe I should have gotten a 20 degree quilt instead.
    When it gets closer to 30 degrees I'm not sure which quilt I should bring with me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    A good rule of thumb is always go for a quilt rated 10° colder than the temps you will be expecting to have some built in warmth margin. You could always open that quilt up and add a bit more down if it's needed as well.

Oh I didn't know about that rule of thumb. So I should have gotten a 20 degree quilt then. Good to know.
    I probably don't want to hurt the resell value by opening it up and adding down. Mostly because I wouldn't know what the hell I was doing.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Don't start imagining problems - an HG Burrow is likely to be infinitely superior to a Snugpak because it's down and doesn't weigh 27 pounds like the Snugpak!

I have six HG quilts and I rarely fluff or migrate down. I give them a shake when they come out of their stuff sacks, but that's about it. The major problem I have is UQ suspension: when the quilt isn't properly snugged up, you can get cold.

While I agree with TrailSlug's 10* buffer rule (and would never buy a 30* quilt because it makes no sense to me), I think a 30* quilt would probably work fine for most European weather. Here in New Jersey, 20* quilts make more sense because it can get cold here. I get a lot more use out of my 20* quilts than my 0* and 40* quilts.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I agree with SilvrSurfr my quilt sets are a 0°, a 20°, and a 50° set. The twenties get used 90% of the time. I also primarily use a Ridgerunner and the beauty of this hammock is the underquilt can't move so getting cold from a maladjusted underquilt is a non issue when using this hammock.

Oh man. I should've gotten you guys' opinion before buying it.
    I pretty much blown through my christmas budget now so I won't be buying a new underquilt. Maybe next year.

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Inc30 / B40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyrth View Post
    Oh man. I should've gotten you guys' opinion before buying it.
    I pretty much blown through my christmas budget now so I won't be buying a new underquilt. Maybe next year.
    Test it out first before you have to rely on it as your only source of warmth, but we do typically recommend about a 10 degree buffer to be on the safe side. Some of us sleep warmer than others, and vice versa. Shifting of down is somewhat typical in most ultralight quilts. The goal is to provide you with something that's comfortably warm, but also not overpacked with needless down. If you notice a cold spot while laying in it, just swipe some down into that area, and it should stay there all night. Even though you bought it second hand, we're always willing to help folks who have our gear, so feel free to reach out to us if you need anything!
    Harry Carlson
    Customer Support
    www.hammockgear.com
    740-445-4327
    [email protected]

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If there is one place you might be able to get away with in colder temperatures it would be the topquilt. I had my Econ 30 down to 23 this weekend, wearing a good hoodie underneath it. I had a 20 degree underquilt though. That setup worked great, with no wind anyway. For me, I do wish I had a 20 degree and will eventually add one. Now, my options are 30 or drop all the way down to 0. The 30 definitely works fine for me, so not grabbing a 20 for awhile.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Don't overthink things.. You have a really great quilt and a great start to your setup. Especially if you can have only one for now.

You're not likely to rip the 10D fabric unless you're terribly abusive to your gear. The 10D tafetta might be a bit less robust, but still not delicate by any stretch.
    With a 30F TQ at 30F, you might get an occasional chill but I wouldn't expect you to feel outright cold, unless you're a really cold sleeper. Every one of my HG quilts have been successfully taken to below their rating.

Everyone's approach to their quilt sets is different.. I have a 0F UQ and 20F, 40F with a 3/4 UQ and 50F sets... I tried a lot of quilts before figuring out what worked for me. I actually think a 30F Burrow is a good starting place for a top quilt. Many folks will successfully pair a slightly lighter top quilt with a warmer under quilt.. so go for a 20F under quilt. The 30F top quilt will be more flexible than a 20F top quilt when the temps begin to go back up.

Have fun. Wear some extra clothes.. get out on the trail!
    Last edited by MikekiM; 12-09-2019 at 21:57.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    With layered clothing & a good wool or down beanie, your 30 deg 950 fill top quilt should be good for temps below that. Especially if you have a good quality under quilt.

I wear Smartwool merino wool socks, top & bottom layers, an old lightweight anorak style synthetic pullover & a Black Rock down beanie. This setup works well into the teens for me. Plus, you can always add more layers!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast