Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraR View Post
    Another question is "Is there a need for getting more women into hammocking?" I mean I'm all for helping people discover the joy of the outdoors, but unless you're hoping for more "female-specific" gear (whatever that would be!) why push people?
    I'd like some more color options than dark and dreary. I am just loving the new stuff coming from ripstop by the roll. Just think of the possibilities if there was more demand.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by lilprincess View Post
    I try and get ladies who've never done anything else. While they don't know any different. Lol

I have extra gear: backpacks, hanmocks, insulations, tarps etc.. then take them out camping. Usually a backpacking trip with girls only. Lots of tea or coffee, short easy miles and yummy food. Camping lights really helped make them comfortable at night too.

Last year was the second official girls only trip. Some of those that went the time before helped me teach the new ones. We helped set them up and tuck them in at night. Teaching is the best way to learn of course, so we keep growing as a group. Now finding room for 10 hammocks will be a challenge this year. But we are up for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I think if I had extra gear it would make it a LOT easier to get women out. Money is a huge factor for a lot of the women I know.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Kammok Koala UQ
    Suspension
    Kammok 2" straps
    I wonder if a number of female campers consider things like changing clothes and monthy hygiene and shy away from hammocks. Tents do afford a lot more privacy.

Also, side note: REI has a bunch of women's classes available. I got an email about it a week ago or so.

Kammok is also hosting a Celebrating Women in the Outdoors event at their Austin headquarters next month that I'm pretty excited about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    Let us know how this turns out.
    I called my local REI and spoke to the manager. He said they do have a hammocking class on the schedule coming up. I gave him my info and said I'd be happy to help present because I'd love to get more women into hammocking. He said employees must present the session, but I could attend and still speak.

A lot of these sessions aren't at times when I can go. We will see when it is and if I can go.

The manager did say I could make a flyer for our next hammock hang and he'd post it in the store and also the breakroom.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images

How to get more female hammockers - Woman Responses Only

Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    I called my local REI and spoke to the manager. He said they do have a hammocking class on the schedule coming up. I gave him my info and said I'd be happy to help present because I'd love to get more women into hammocking. He said employees must present the session, but I could attend and still speak.

A lot of these sessions aren't at times when I can go. We will see when it is and if I can go.

The manager did say I could make a flyer for our next hammock hang and he'd post it in the store and also the breakroom.
    Wouldn't it he cool if their staff came to one of your hangs.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Chameleon!!!!
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle
    Wouldn't it he cool if their staff came to one of your hangs.
    I think it would be great if they came out to get more first-hand experience. I actually went to an outdoor REI hammock presentation, and they had the hammock connected incorrectly. When I pointed out the mistake, the presenter insisted that I was wrong.

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    I'd like some more color options than dark and dreary.
    Agreed. Given that I'm a full-time indoor hanger, I bought an ENO teal/yellow/purple hammock simply because I wanted a bright and cheery hammock, to start/end my day on a positive note.
    Find your inner hammock.

Hammock
    Warbird BB xlc
    Tarp
    Agua Quest Guide L
    Insulation
    Ghost Pepper, C. R
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Maceo'sMom View Post
    I think it would be great if they came out to get more first-hand experience. I actually went to an outdoor REI hammock presentation, and they had the hammock connected incorrectly. When I pointed out the mistake, the presenter insisted that I was wrong.
    Hmmm, the last time I went to the REI kayak trip presentation the guy could not really give local info on our creeks and rivers. He said he was asked to do this and apologized for not knowing the area....wow.
    I knew a number of people attending and we had more info to share than he did. I wonder if these clinics have to be done to satisfy their corporate office taking into account how many attended and if sales were increased by doing these events for the local community. I worked a while back for Dicks Sporting Goods as the Community Marketing Coordinator. I had to do events, hand out coupons, tally how many coupons went out and came back/revenue increases back to the store by hosting the event. Once a week we had a conference call with all managers to come up with additional profitable programs.
    "And into the Forest I Go... to Lose my Mind and Find my Soul"
    Unknown

As a 57 yr old woman wanting to get back onto A.T. I want out of tent and into hammock. BUT I'm really intimidated with setup, knots, guy lines, ridgelines??? And I have about 3 weeks to get there...

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Takahike View Post
    As a 57 yr old woman wanting to get back onto A.T. I want out of tent and into hammock. BUT I'm really intimidated with setup, knots, guy lines, ridgelines??? And I have about 3 weeks to get there...
    YOU are in luck!! There is a hammock hang in Wisconsin this weekend!!! It's up in Door County @ Peninsula State Park.

Here's the thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...pril-28th-30th

I know the people going and they are great! They can totally help you with EVERYTHING! They are people who got me into hammocking last year and taught me all I know.

I'll also going to private message you and and host for the weekend so you can connect. I hope you can attend or stop by!
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast