Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help me configure my Sparrow!

Hi everyone,

About to take the step to a custom hammock. Been using a Hennessy Expedition asym zip for around 5-6 years, and just this year got a Safari in a trade as well. I found the Expedition very capable but maybe a little bit tight, and I wish the net was removable. The Safari was outstanding in comfort but quite heavy, no removable net, and the width was a bit excessive. Didn't bother me but seemed pointless to drag around a bunch of extra fabric for no reason. Very much enjoyed the sag and distance to ridgeline on it though! I'm 5'10 and around 175 lbs so don't really need anything huge but I like having a little space to stretch out diagonally.

Now, after 5-6 years of hammocking I figured I am dedicated enough to it that I can justify buying a custom one. Been emailing a bit with DreamHammock and so far we're leaning towards an 11' 62" wide Sparrow in the 1.6 HyperD fabric. I figured I'd spring for net and overcover, with a slightly bigger vent than standard on the cover.

But there are so many options here. Fabrics, organizers, etc etc. Bit lost on what to go for. Been looking through the "recent projects" page for inspiration.

I want: sturdy enough fabric that I don't need to baby it. Lighter weight than my current setup. Overcover as an option for when it gets colder. Lots of storage options. There are peak bags, gear slings, gear hammocks, my head's spinning just trying to piece it all together.

What are your thoughts? I don't want to spam the nice people at DreamHammock with endless questions so figured I'd throw it out here. :-)

thanks!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I don't think they would mind your questions if it leads to a sale.
    Seems you have an idea...go with your gut. Randy can advise you as well.
    Go for it!
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    I've got a Sparrow in their queue already: https://dreamhammock.com/current-orders/11019/

I'm 5' 8" or so and about 130 lbs. The HyperD 1.6 fabric is my favorite as far as comfort and "feel". You'll need the HyperD XL fabric to get your 62" custom width. That's the same width I get with my hammocks and it provides a nice diagonal lay without a bunch of extra fabric to flop around uselessly.

For storage, I get a head-end peak shelf to put my pillows in as I exit the hammock so they don't fall on the ground. I use two pillows -- one for my head and one between my knees as a side sleeper. Peak shelf should be standard equipment on every hammock in my opinion...they don't add hardly any weight but give you a handy place to put stuff.

I also got a 20 X 7 open top pocket (as opposed to zippered). This is sewn into the side of the hammock and gives you storage right by your shoulder, providing convenient access to little items - headlamp, earplugs, gloves, etc. I also have removable ridgeline organizers from a number of vendors; I tend to just keep my down booties in them for when needed.

Since I'm hanging just for fun in my backyard, I don't worry about the weight of all these storage options.

For some reason, the Peak Shelf doesn't show on the list of Sparrow options, but Randy sent me this direct link:
    https://dreamhammock.com/store/Peak-Shelf-p42399070

My Sparrow was ordered with Over cover only -- the DH folks said I could order a bugnet for it as a separate item in the future. I went with the standard ventilation on the over cover...I figure the Smurfs know what they're doing to balance heat retention with ventilation.

Images
    I like to not overcomplicate the hammock interior with a lot of storage options. And many of Dream Hammock's storage options aren't removable (side pockets & peak shelf for example). But figuring out the best storage solution is a question only you will know the answer to - it's totally custom built, after all. I'll just say, you might want to consider whether a given storage option is removable or not, before committing to it.

Fabric is rather personal as well. I'm similar height & weight to you (6'1" 175ish lbs). I have a Sparrow that's 11' x 64" and a Darien that's 11' x 62". I personally think the 11' x 62" is a slightly better fit for me, but that all depends on lay preferences and so on. Both those dimensions work for me, though, so I think you'll be fine in that range.

1.6 Hyper D is a very good, comfortable fabric (my Sparrow is made from the wide version, and I also have a DIY netless made from the regular, non-wide version). Another fabric to consider is the 1.3MTN XL (which is what my Darien is made from). Either is fine in a single layer for your weight, but the 1.3MTN XL will save about 2 ounces or so. (Edit: I guess RBTR is calling it 1.2 again... it was 1.3 when they released it... which itself was a replacement for their former 1.2 fabric - see below)

If you're not familiar with these fabrics and at least want to get a feel for them, consider buying sample swatches from RipstopByTheRoll. That's a VERY affordable way to at least get your hands on them and see what they look and feel like.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...custom-samples

From RBTR on their 1.2 oz MTN XL Hybrid Ripstop Nylon 6.6:

NOTES:

- This fabric was transitioned to 1.2 oz nylon 6.6 from the previous 1.2 oz nylon 6 variant on 7/30/19. The 1.2 oz nylon 6 variant will not be restocked.

- We also trimmed the weight back to 1.2 oz from 1.3 oz on 8/20/20. This will be the new weight we stock moving forward.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 10-27-2020 at 13:27.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    For hammock storage, I have settled on a ridgeline organizer for easy access and then a ridgeline sling near the foot end for larger items and lots more storage. The sling clips or larksheads on to the ridgeline.

I have a ridgeline organizer installed on each hammock and then keep the loaded up sling in my pack to move between hammocks and have ready for the next trip. It’s got my sleeping socks, battery pack, sleeping hat, and my inflatable pillow, and a few other items. It’s also big enough to wedge my TQ over/under to keep it under control.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I think the specs you listed sound about right for someone your size. HyperD is definitely not a delicate fabric, but is still plenty lightweight. As for storage, it all depends on how much stuff you like to bring inside the hammock with you. I guess I'm a bit more of a minimalist when it comes to hammock storage. I use a ridgeline organizer, and one peak shelf at the head-end for storing my fleece pullover or down puffy. The RO holds my phone, knife, and anything else I have in my pockets.

As for a top cover- I have one, but have never actually used it. I sleep warm, and actually prefer to feel the air movement at night- even when it's colder. I kinda wish I hadn't gotten it- but oh well, maybe I'll use it one day. If you do get a top cover, I recommend getting the 1.0oz ripstop nylon, and not the HyperD 1.6. Due to the heavier weight of the HyperD, it has a tendency to sag a bit and flop on your face.

Man, you guys are awesome.

Shug: Thanks for the interesting video. I am also sure they would answer all the questions but it seems that all the hammock vendors are up to their ears in work right now so wanted to avoid flooding them with emails.

Canadark: the peak shelf is brilliant. I didn't see it as an option on the Sparrow configurator so thanks for letting me know about it! I was going to go with a peak bag but this is much more useful for me. A pocket (though I think I'd prefer zipped) near the head end sounds like a good idea as well. I see there's an option to get one at the foot end but not sure how useful that'd be.

cmc4free: I'm pretty non-bothered by fabrics in general when it comes to how they feel, so mostly look for the "sweet spot" balancing weight and durability. Randy did recommend the HyperD XL for my desires so I think I will just go with that one. Glad to hear you like your 11' 62" hammock! Seems like that width/length might strike a good balance for medium height/weight people.

Tpatter: I do like the ridgeline organizer in my Hennessys. Will probably have one on the Sparrow just to put my glasses in since they feel safe there. The "preloaded" sling is a cool idea, I might steal that from you!

rweb82: I am not sure how much use the top cover will see but since I am ordering from Sweden I don't want to have to place a separate order later so figured it's worth adding it on.

So maybe this config then:
    11' 62" wide HyperD XL 1.6 single layer (I always use an underquilt)
    Bugnet and overcover (think I will go with the lightest option here) with the bigger version opening so I can see out better
    Peak shelf above head, peak bag on foot end
    Ridgeline organizer
    Interior pocket, zipped, by head end (not sure about this one, might be overkill, I really don't bring *that* much crap with me)
    Might order a gear sling as well since I will be ordering from overseas and adding smaller items later gets expensive (import fees)

Thinking about pairing this with a down underquilt from Cumulus here in Europe, they make really nice gear. Their UQ tapers from 110 cm to I think 90 on the foot end. Thinking that ought to work as long as I can attach it properly. Been using a Snugpak UQ but it's heaaaaaaavy and I don't really want to take it with me hiking. For top quilt I just used the down middle layer from my North Face "One bag" last time out and it worked brilliantly.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Sounds like a nice bit of kit! Enjoy working with the Smurfs over at Dream Hammock- they are great people!

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ Down
    Suspension
    Treeee straps!
    Quote Originally Posted by medinfoto View Post
    Hi everyone,

About to take the step to a custom hammock. Been using a Hennessy Expedition asym zip for around 5-6 years, and just this year got a Safari in a trade as well. I found the Expedition very capable but maybe a little bit tight, and I wish the net was removable. The Safari was outstanding in comfort but quite heavy, no removable net, and the width was a bit excessive. Didn't bother me but seemed pointless to drag around a bunch of extra fabric for no reason. Very much enjoyed the sag and distance to ridgeline on it though! I'm 5'10 and around 175 lbs so don't really need anything huge but I like having a little space to stretch out diagonally.

Now, after 5-6 years of hammocking I figured I am dedicated enough to it that I can justify buying a custom one. Been emailing a bit with DreamHammock and so far we're leaning towards an 11' 62" wide Sparrow in the 1.6 HyperD fabric. I figured I'd spring for net and overcover, with a slightly bigger vent than standard on the cover.

But there are so many options here. Fabrics, organizers, etc etc. Bit lost on what to go for. Been looking through the "recent projects" page for inspiration.

I want: sturdy enough fabric that I don't need to baby it. Lighter weight than my current setup. Overcover as an option for when it gets colder. Lots of storage options. There are peak bags, gear slings, gear hammocks, my head's spinning just trying to piece it all together.

What are your thoughts? I don't want to spam the nice people at DreamHammock with endless questions so figured I'd throw it out here. :-)

thanks!
    You didn't mention your size. I'm very comfortable at 6'0" and 230# with my dual-layer. 1.6oz HyperD outer, 1.2oz MtnXL inner layer. If I were to buy another I'd go the exact same way. Sparrow #7969 if you care to look it up with the OutdoorINK "Forest Floor" fabric overcover.

If you have any bugs to deal with, definitely go with the net. I've used my overcover twice in below-25 degrees. Otherwise it stays home. My last overnight at 14 degrees I used the net and was more comfortable keeping the condensation down. If you like the cover you might consider getting a larger vent. Some day I may either get another cover with a larger vent or send my current cover back for an upgrade.

I've never gone without the net, even with no bugs. My netless hammock requires cords attached to pilows so they don't hit the dirt when one squeezed overboard.

In my neck of the woods (PNW) I can depend on stuff falling out of the sky or the trees (bugs, sap, sticks, ...) so I'm always under the tarp.

To protect the UQ from the damp and help with cold I regularly use the DreamHammock Underquilt Protector. And I have the GearSling hanging from the ridgeline by my knees for my water bottle if it's not freezing or my puffy etc if it is freezing.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Whatever the Smurfs recommend.

I'm 5-9/170 (OK, on the way back to 170) and wanted a 10' Darien. Went with Smurf recommendation of 64" width and Mtn 1.7, and although I've used a fair number of hammocks and various materials since, this first Darien remains my fave to this day. They know their stuff.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast