Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Insulation
    UGQ/???
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Need help with an under quilt.

I decided to take the plunge and try a hammock on my BWCA trip next month. I've been mulling over the multitude of options and finally decided on the Eldorado (thanks Shug). But now UGQ, Loco Libre, EE, and HG are backed up so far that I won't get it in time for my trip on May 14th. My top quilt is a UGQ 850 fill and was planning on getting a similar quality under quilt. My UGQ topQ is a 20 degree, but I am sure that I can easily get by with a good, comfort rated 30 or 40 degree under quilt. Any suggestions for a quality alternative would be appreciated.

I have to decide on a tarp as well, but I think I have some options there.
    Last edited by SeekSolitude; 04-04-2021 at 20:09.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Given your tight time frame, I would be looking at a Trail Winder synthetic underquilt from Simply Light Designs. I'm assuming in the BWCA you are traveling by some sort of muscle-powered craft where weight/packability are not your top concerns. The synthetic UQ might not compress as well as a down one, but that probably won't be a concern for you. The better performance of synthetic insulation in damp/humid conditions might be an advantage in your situation as well.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Mini fly
    Insulation
    Diamondback/wooki
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Not sure on ur preference for an underquilt but since you got the eldorado I think warbonnet has one or two wookies in their sale section.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Insulation
    UGQ/???
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by CLSR--000 View Post
    Not sure on ur preference for an underquilt but since you got the eldorado I think warbonnet has one or two wookies in their sale section.
    Do you know if they use comfort ratings? I noticed that the 20 degree wookie has the same amount of down as a 40 degree from UGQ or EE.

Hammock
    Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    Becket
    Wooki is a good option from Warbonnet, and you may be able to get a custom one made in that timeframe. I’d contact them just to check on lead times, and to see if they have anything in stock that has been posted that might fit your needs.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Insulation
    UGQ/???
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadark View Post
    Given your tight time frame, I would be looking at a Trail Winder synthetic underquilt from Simply Light Designs. I'm assuming in the BWCA you are traveling by some sort of muscle-powered craft where weight/packability are not your top concerns. The synthetic UQ might not compress as well as a down one, but that probably won't be a concern for you. The better performance of synthetic insulation in damp/humid conditions might be an advantage in your situation as well.
    I looked at those, but I am a backpacker also and really would like to stick to down for compression. I might go that way in a pinch though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Mini fly
    Insulation
    Diamondback/wooki
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    As for warbonnets ratings I would say my quilts from them perform down to or beyond their ratings. I tend to sleep a bit warm.

The way the Wooki is made places the down in the needed places. 20 degrees is good number. I'd definitely want that in the BWCAW or QPP in May.

Just curious, what's your entry point?
    Last edited by TominMN; 04-04-2021 at 22:55.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Jacks R Better ships from stock, so they might be your best bet. My UQ is their Mt Washington & I love it. https://www.jacksrbetter.com/product...-3-underquilt/

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    I would try Jacks R Better first if you want new. But personally, the first thing I would do is to place a "Want to buy" post on this forum. Then, if you're on Facebook, there are lots of backpacking buy/sell/trade groups where you could easily find what you need before May. Another option would be ebay. I've never bought any gear there but heard others have had some success there. Good luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast