Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which HH to get

Which HH to get

All this recent super shelter talk has me interested in trying a HH. I have quite a few nice hammocks from other makers, so its not like I need another one. Also, it seems that many people start with something like a Hennessy and then switch to a cottage maker, rather than the angle I am coming from. Having said that, I realize the HH will be heavier, but maybe the 70D fabric will provide a different (better?) feel/support than the 1.3's and lighter that I usually use.

So, I'm 5'6" and want as light and modern a version as possible. Ultralight Backpacker or Hyperlite Backpacker? Some other one? Since part of the deal is to try the SS out, it has to be compatible with that and the top cover

Thanks!

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    1.5 Spider/Becket
    I have a Hyperlite Zip with a supershelter. I got a few good years out of it before I upgraded to a Dream Darien. It's lighter and more similar to a cottage vendor hammock compared to their other models (I also own an Expedition Classic). I'm 6'1" so the Hyperlite was a bit cramped for me, but if you're not as tall, it would be much more comfortable.

I definitely miss the SS over an underquilt. It stays in place better, and when pared with a space blanket, it's plenty warm. I slept comfortable in it down into the 40s.

I recommend swapping out the ropes for continuous loops for the suspension, as it cuts some weight and makes it more versatile.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by unwordedly View Post

"I recommend swapping out the ropes for continuous loops for the suspension, as it cuts some weight and makes it more versatile."

Dutchware, or do others offer that option as well? I'm all about CL's!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Dutchware carries continuous loops & the cordage if you want to make your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    1.5 Spider/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    Dutchware, or do others offer that option as well? I'm all about CL's!
    There are a few vendors that carry CLs. They're also easy to make. Personally, I've switched to making Universal Loops for all of my hammocks.

https://youtu.be/S15HBxHKd7M

I use Meyers Universal loops on many of my hammocks. I asked about Dutch because my understanding is that HH require a much longer CL compared to a more "traditional" hammock like Dream or SLD. I do not make my own, so I need to buy ones that are the correct length.

A closer look at the HH website makes it seem that the overcovers are only available for the classic hammocks, not the side zip. Kind of a deal breaker, but I'm open to experienced thoughts on it.

Hammock
    Multiple
    All this recent super shelter talk has me interested in trying a HH. I have quite a few nice hammocks from other makers, so its not like I need another one. Also, it seems that many people start with something like a Hennessy and then switch to a cottage maker, rather than the angle I am coming from. Having said that, I realize the HH will be heavier, but maybe the 70D fabric will provide a different (better?) feel/support than the 1.3's and lighter that I usually use.

So, I'm 5'6" and want as light and modern a version as possible. Ultralight Backpacker or Hyperlite Backpacker? Some other one? Since part of the deal is to try the SS out, it has to be compatible with that and the top cover

Thanks!
    70D is quite rough compared to for example 20 d and 40 d found in warbonnet models. I don't find any fabric better than the other.

About the Hennessy weight. They are not that heavy compared to other hammocks of similar dimensions. The packed weight in their website includes the stock rainfly, a stuff sack and the suspension. Hyperlite by itself is something like 500 grams.
    Changing the suspension of ultralite/hyperlite models will not save much weight if at all.

Images
    A closer look at the HH website makes it seem that the overcovers are only available for the classic hammocks, not the side zip. Kind of a deal breaker, but I'm open to experienced thoughts on it.
    No, they are available for both. But, mine are classic, bottom entry which I use with no problems on my zip models. This leaves me an entry hole which I no longer use, but it does not cause a problem. It closes itself up as much as needed when in use. https://hennessyhammock.com/products...n-system-2-zip

OOPS, you said OVER cover. My mistake. But still, my OCs work the same on either my classic model or my zip, although there is a slight learning curve on how to get in and out with the zip model. I think I ended up doing a simple mod so that the side of the OC does not have the side ropes going through it, so I could lift it out of the way when needed. I don't recll how I did it, but it was simple and, I think I just tied on a bit of cord so I could tie it back down once I got in. Or, often, I would just leave it loose.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-22-2020 at 14:59.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    No, they are available for both. But, mine are classic, bottom entry which I use with no problems on my zip models. This leaves me an entry hole which I no longer use, but it does not cause a problem. It closes itself up as much as needed when in use. https://hennessyhammock.com/products...n-system-2-zip
    The SS is available in both models, but the overcovers are not. Are you using the classic overcover with the zip hammock?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast