Question Posi-loc paracord use

Has anyone used posi-lock paracord to make loops or soft shackles?

https://www.orangescrew.com/pages/paracord

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Never used it but it looks good for knots.

However, anything with a kernmantle (core) is not intended for splicing. They don't specifically state it, but the mention of two materials and "outer sheath" suggests kernmantle.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    I've used regular paracord for many loops and the occasional soft shackle and never had any trouble with the knots letting go.

See link for soft shackle instructions using paracord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXG1...SnLwTv&index=7

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

However, anything with a kernmantle (core) is not intended for splicing. They don't specifically state it, but the mention of two materials and "outer sheath" suggests kernmantle.
    Thank you, this got me to reread the description. It says "
    We have created a super strong core using many individual strands of polyester yarn. The outer sheath has a bumpy surface texture that is created with a blend of polyester and polypropylene yarns woven in a proprietary pattern"
    so this will not be able to be used for endless loops or such.

though I made a test soft shackle line

Quote Originally Posted by Groundskeeper View Post
    I've used regular paracord for many loops and the occasional soft shackle and never had any trouble with the knots letting go.

Thanks, this is a great resource!

welcome to the forums.

well, you could make softshackles out of any rope, presumably, the question is what for. as i happen to like softshackles, i had to figure out what for, so i could make softshackles out of materials which are a bit more readily available and don't require renting out a kidney to aquire (unlike dyneema). as to continuous loops, i have been struggling to find any use for them lately, i think i'd always have a soft shackle on hand instead, but ymmv, you can easily bend any* rope into a loop (*except dyneema), i'd recommend the reever bend, or the zeppelin bend (depending on how you want the tails).

now, regarding softshackles: my point when i say "why" is that you need to keep in mind, paracord is much much weaker than dyneema in the same diameter, you cannot use them as drop in replacement for eachother, not even close. although softshackles made properly out of paracrod might prove to be marginally strong enough to be safe for some hammock campers, i'd honestly not venture there: seems not worth the risk, in the end we're talking cents already (2m of paracord vs 2m of 3mm dyneema, won't be much of a difference in price).

to make softshackles of paracord (or, generally, any non-spliceable/hard to splice chord), one would have to redesign them a bit anyway. as you can see in the video linked, there's many ways to do that. there are some useful ways too, though (the video, unfortunately, doesn't get into those).

my favourite use so far of "redesigned softshackles" from "commodity rope" is the one i cooked up to be tied at the end of a line, it turns out to be very versatile. it can be tied very quickly, and then it is very quick and easy to operate, without fiddling (in the video above, the only "acceptable" configuration is the last one, with the larkshead, imagine trying to open that one with gloves on). i now use this line-end variation as keychain with integrated binner (it's more of a soft carabinner than shackle, i guess), at the end of guylines or anything i might want to be able to attach and detach to some random object quickly.

in other words: of course you can, but make sure you're clear about what you want it for, and have "safe" expectations regarding the strength, and don't trust anything until you do destruction testing on it (rope and knots do not follow common sense, if something new/untested seems obvious, then it must be wrong ). play, and if you come up with something you like, or have some trouble/questions, post here, there's many people who also like to play with these things, on here.
    Last edited by nanok; 11-27-2022 at 12:10.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

Definitely splice-able if the core is braided and not simply straight fibers. Difficult in small diameters such as Spyderline...

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundskeeper View Post

Soft shackles are spliced. I believe the video just has a stopper knot and a larks head as opposed to a splice. The two may be functional equivalent, but there's no comparing the strength.
    That being said, most of my spliced gear is going on a sailing rig supporting 150 ft of sail.

• + New Posts