View Poll Results: Do you have to pee more when hammock camping?

Voters
323. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

144 44.58%
  • No

54 16.72%
  • About the same

89 27.55%
  • I hadn't really applied the scientific method to this one.

36 11.15%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I think I already commented on this in the past, but it's a fact. At home I NEVER get up to go. When hanging, it's at least once a night, many times twice.

Drinking approximately the same amount, I woke up twice on my last 2 trips, every night. One was car camping, one was hiking about 9miles/day.

Very odd!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    MMSS + sleep pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Just wondering if some of you are more conscious about staying hydrated while out on the trail than you would otherwise?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Just a note because I read the posts about using a pee bottle ... If you are thinking of doing this, you may benefit from practicing at home first. If you just stand by to toilet (just in case your bottle is too small). It may seem easy. Okay, now do it with the light out so it is completely black. So you need a flashlight. But if you use a flash light, you need one hand to hold the light, one hand to hold the bottle and one hand to ... so not enough hands - go with a headlamp. Now, understand that it will be cold outside.

I thought, "How easy this is going to be - peeing in a bottle in my tent (not standing up)." I'm just say'n, practice at home first. And if you are thinking of doing this in a t*#t so you can't stand up, practice while lying on your side.

And with winter on its way, remember, when in the snow, pack out a path to where you are going to go your business first. The packed snow will firm up and be solid for your journey at night. Much better than walking through knee deep snow.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    And with winter on its way, remember, when in the snow, pack out a path to where you are going to go your business first. The packed snow will firm up and be solid for your journey at night. Much better than walking through knee deep snow.
    Good tip! It's amazing how it basically turns into concrete after a couple hours after.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Great White View Post
    Well this is an older thread, but I will state my opinion. For sure, I get up in the middle of the night more often to urinate. My theory is the temperature. I noticed the same situation occurring in my bed at home when I forgot to use more blankets during cold nights.

I believe that if you are getting up more often when in a hammock, your body feels cold and probably wants to be warmer.
    I think that is it. I think it is related to the kidney area very often being just slightly cooler(or more than just slight) than when in a bed or in a tent on a pad. We all know how easy it is to freeze our backsides while in a hammock. So it must be just as easy to improve the back warmth just enough to be able to sleep, but maybe the kidney area is still a little cooler than usual, but not noticeable. This either causes the kidneys to pump out more or the entire body experiences venous constriction of the extremities which increases blood pressure and input pressure to the kidneys. Or something more or less like that.

But it should be easy to determine. Just sleep a few nights with minimal backside insulation, just enough to barely get through the night. The do the same with lots of backside insulation so that your back actually feels quite toasty. Note any differences.

I've seen no difference

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I haven't slept in my hammock many times yet,but yes,I have to pee every time. I can't remember the las time I got up in the middle of the night while at home, but I have had to every time in the hammock. I wonder if it's because I'm a side sleeper at home and a back sleeper in the hammock. Gravity working in a different angle? If I get cold, I almost always have to pee once I get warm. Even on the ground, as soon as I got comfy and warm, I have to pee.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exped /or "other" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy or 9x9DD
    Insulation
    Supershelter
    Suspension
    original
    Images
    Don't see a difference here. Only depends on what Ive had to drink before bed I guess.
    “The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    It does seem like I go more on camping trips. Of course I drink a lot more water on camping trips.
    Is it hang time yet?

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I think I already commented on this in the past, but it's a fact. At home I NEVER get up to go. When hanging, it's at least once a night, many times twice.
    This is me. I NEVER pee while at home. Car camping or hiking, hydrated or not, warm or cold, I'm getting up to relieve myself. Damnedest thing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast