DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Mount Rogers VA hammocking (and water) questions

I’m going out this coming weekend with two other guys for a 2-night backpacking trip. We’ve all done it before...10+ years ago pre-kids. Since kids it’s been day hikes and car camping. We’re driving out from just outside of DC on the VA side.

This trip will be about getting back out, playing with new gear, and generally setting ourselves up to do it more often. I’m planning the trip, and had been looking to do a 14-20 mile circuit in Shenandoah National Park, but then I came across a couple of the Mount Rogers Trail circuits that hit about 20 miles...and I’m more than a little interested in calling an audible to go there instead. It looks amazing!

All three of us are hammock camping and should be ok for the weather (forecast says lows of about 28*, which we know might mean 18* in the backcountry).

1) Based on what I’ve read, hang spots shouldn’t be that tough to find, but I’d like confirmation...?

2) How available are water sources? I’ll have a SteriPEN due to temps, but I’d like to know if carrying in 2 liters each is enough with refill stops, or if we’d need more water carried.

3) How does a mid-November trip affect the answer to #2?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    jdy97p,
    I've been to Mt Rogers a handful of times, most recently last year. What route are you looking to do?

#1: Finding a place to hang wasn't a problem. In fact, the area around Thomas Knob Shelter had a variety of spots, but other hangers were set up before we arrived.

2: As for water, we started with water bladders filled, and had no problems finding water. Just to be safe, I'd suggest calling the ranger station to verify water availability.

3: I can't provide any personal experience for the area in November. However, the weather in that area can change quickly, so prepare for all weather varieties, including snow and high winds.

Good luck with your hike and please provide a post-trip report

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I like Mountain-Forecast to check the temp and wind. Gotta watch the wind up there as it can be a game changer.
    You can toggle between different elevations to get an idea of temp/wind ranges.
    https://www.mountain-forecast.com/pe...forecasts/1746

You should be ok to find spots to hammock especially since you aren’t covering big miles.

And I don’t have any experience on mid-November up there. Figure I’d freeze my butt off - but then again I’m not used to cold weather camping (yet).

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    there is a water source behind Thomas knob shelter. there is also a spring a half mile south (according to the 2016 AT Guide) on the AT from the MT. Rogers spur trail.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    So after getting all excited, I’ll have to push Mt Rogers to spring. Ends up that the extra 3 hours on the drive will push us too late into the afternoon on Friday, unless I can get the morning off work instead of just the afternoon.

But THANK YOU for the responses. I’ll keep this post saved for (hopefully) a March trip.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by jdy98p View Post
    So after getting all excited, I’ll have to push Mt Rogers to spring. Ends up that the extra 3 hours on the drive will push us too late into the afternoon on Friday, unless I can get the morning off work instead of just the afternoon.

But THANK YOU for the responses. I’ll keep this post saved for (hopefully) a March trip.

If you want to try a winter hang at Grayson State Park, watch this forum for a new thread for the late Jan/early Feb annual Grayson Winter Hang.

Rain, wind, snow, fog, frozen water bottles, etc. --- fun in the park.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Same or different from the old "Mt Roger's" hang? If it's still a thing I'd really like to go.
    Went to MN FBH 3 yrs in a row, but haven't been since we moved south.
    Directionally challenged...comicly so.

Not all who wonder are lost...But I'm probably just lost.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeMadeHiker View Post
    Same or different from the old "Mt Roger's" hang? If it's still a thing I'd really like to go.
    Went to MN FBH 3 yrs in a row, but haven't been since we moved south.
    Same as old winter hang. Always hoping for snow and below freezing temps.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Honest Outfitters
    Tarp
    Blue Kmart tarp
    Insulation
    Snugpak Cocoon
    Suspension
    Green paracord
    Quote Originally Posted by jdy98p View Post

I am going to Sleepy Creek on the 14th. There will not be much of a hike. But it should be quiet and cold. You guys are welcome to join me. At this point my plan is to sit by the fire and read for two days. And cook means on a fire.

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesleypipesyo View Post
    I am going to Sleepy Creek on the 14th. There will not be much of a hike. But it should be quiet and cold. You guys are welcome to join me. At this point my plan is to sit by the fire and read for two days. And cook means on a fire.
    Honestly, I'd be all over that if my December schedule wasn't so packed with kid's events and Christmas. And Dec 15 is my anniversary, so there's that too

Thanks for the invite. Maybe after the new year or spring we can work something out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast