WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bammacker View Post
    *(423) 440-1853‬ Chris Wagoner is the guy you need if you need a ride he even has a few rescue buddies that he works with. Call him before hand tell him your plan, wouldn’t hurt. Tell him Kirk told you about him, he helped me about 6 weeks ago. My wife contacted 10 services, he was the only one that would help. She was able to give him my coordinates to get us out.
    Sir- that is a huge help!!! Always best to be prepared and I’ll reach out to him and keep his contact info - hopefully won’t end up using it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I'll have to keep an eye on this thread. Me and a few friends would like to do something similar. To avoid a vehicle shuttle going for a loop would be best. With the 10hr drive home it will probably be a day up, 3 days hiking, a day home. I'm fine with doing shorter mileage since the climbs sound pretty brutal. Any suggestions for the "must see" parts of the gorge??

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I'll have to keep an eye on this thread. Me and a few friends would like to do something similar. To avoid a vehicle shuttle going for a loop would be best. With the 10hr drive home it will probably be a day up, 3 days hiking, a day home. I'm fine with doing shorter mileage since the climbs sound pretty brutal. Any suggestions for the "must see" parts of the gorge??
    Do and See.....Linville River, view from Hawksbill, view from south end of Shortoff, the hike up Little Table Rock, The hike up or down Pinchin, Linville Falls (touristy), Devils Hole, Babel Tower, hot dogs at Louises.
    That'll give you plenty.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I was laughing so hard I cried. My Dad used to do the cow brains in "gravy" with some eggs when I was a kid. I think I tried them once but don't remember much about them.

Well, now I have some more gorge research to do...once I quit laughing. at the "Pork Vomitorium"!!

I never realized how much I miss livermush....

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I would suggest starting at spence ridge for doing this loop and going clock wise. If you have multiple people you can always bring a rope to get your packs across at spence ridge. Depending on water levels you can skip across on the rocks here and not get too wet. I think 2.5 days is a good timeline for this loop as long as you get you a good night up on top of shortoff to admire the view. (If not you'll be standing there for hours anyway hehe).

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Huge thanks everyone - a rope for shuttling the packs across is in the plan - they’ve done that before - folks in my group have done this loop now 4-5 times in the past

I am soooo psyched...I’ve been doing almost nightly HIIT workouts - burpees, jump squats, squat jacks, jumping jacks, mtn climbers, planks, crunches, etc etc for a few weeks now and am going strong...gonna get to some hiking with my pack soon and see how that is all translating on the trail. I’m so pumped seeing all the content on LG Facebook page!! Btw - there is a new avenza LG beta map right now with all up to date to release in a month or so I’m told

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Reviving this to ask, is there any way to print the Avenza map as a backup? I don't think so, easily, but figured I'd check.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Reviving this to ask, is there any way to print the Avenza map as a backup? I don't think so, easily, but figured I'd check.
    I think that a lot of people have found that it would have to be 6' tall to get the details from the current map because the font is so small on the avenza version. There is a less detailed pdf of the gorge that is better for printing, but maybe not as detailed as you would like.

http://lgmaps.org/maps/lgnet/GRDwilderness20190511.pdf

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    I think that a lot of people have found that it would have to be 6' tall to get the details from the current map because the font is so small on the avenza version. There is a less detailed pdf of the gorge that is better for printing, but maybe not as detailed as you would like.

http://lgmaps.org/maps/lgnet/GRDwilderness20190511.pdf
    Thanks, that makes sense. I patched a bunch of screenshots together in Photoshop...and soon realized the 6' tall aspect

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Thanks, that makes sense. I patched a bunch of screenshots together in Photoshop...and soon realized the 6' tall aspect
    Have you tried Google Earth Pro and download the lgmaps for it? I used this a couple years ago to print what I needed just for that trip.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast