Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch Bridge Hooks
    mate, I reckon you should start simple and ease into the whole hammocking thing.
    start with day hanging, grab a Dutch hammock with woopie suspension, then just hang in the back yard. you'll learn quickly how it all works. then you can work up to over nighters, then trips etc

Hammock
    WBRR, Dutch
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Assorted JRB, DIY
    Suspension
    Whooooopie!
    +1 on that, packeteer
    Always last to the camp site.

Hammock
    DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I agree with the last 2 posts. I wished I had went with a simpler set up when I 1st bought my set up.

Hammock
    10ft Dutch Nylon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Yeah guys... I really appreciate everything. I have been cleansed. Reprogramed from Kammok's sleek marketing to the facts of reality with quality lightweight gear. I'm thinking of grabbing the 10ft. NylonD 1.6 single layer hammock with it's cinch system. Comes out to $74 all inclusive. I was still wanting to go a bit cheaper.

QUESTION - Have any of you guys ever messed with Infinity Outfitter's Leisure hammock? It's only $30 but much stronger and a bit longer. I would personally want to switch out the suspension but that would only save me a few dollars from Dutch's.
    Pewdiddy

"It's not stupid until you try it."

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pewdiddy View Post
    QUESTION - Have any of you guys ever messed with Infinity Outfitter's Leisure hammock? It's only $30 but much stronger and a bit longer. I would personally want to switch out the suspension but that would only save me a few dollars from Dutch's.
    Much stronger usually means much heavier. A 10 ft. Dutch NylonD hammock with Whoopie Hook suspension and 4 ft. tree straps weighs 13.47 ounces while the Leisure weighs 17.6 ounces without suspension. Do they include carabiners in that weight? I'm not sure.

I'd guess the Leisure hammock is made from 1.9 oz. ripstop, so that's about 16% heavier than NylonD 1.6. The NylonD weight limit is 285 lbs., and the Leisure is 400 lbs., so it's 29% stronger, but I wonder why that matters to you. Most people looking at hammocks with 400 lb. weight limits are big folks, or they've fallen for ENO-type marketing about the joys of two-person hammocks.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    10ft Dutch Nylon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    so it's 29% stronger, but I wonder why that matters to you. Most people looking at hammocks with 400 lb. weight limits are big folks, or they've fallen for ENO-type marketing about the joys of two-person hammocks.
    Honestly, I'm just use to the while idea of "more for your money." Im quickly learning here that more isn't alway better. Thanks for the comparison.
    I'm gonna go forth and pull the trigger on DutchNylonD 10fter and begin my journey.
    Pewdiddy

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    You might find the 11 foot hammock a bit more comfortable. I'm 6 foot as well and 11 foot seems to be the minimum comfortable length for me. YMMV

Senior Member Infinity Outfitter's Avatar
    Hammock
    Infinity Outfitter
    Tarp
    Infinity Tarp
    Suspension
    Infinity Slings
    Images
    [QUOTE=SilvrSurfr;1430915]Much stronger usually means much heavier. A 10 ft. Dutch NylonD hammock with Whoopie Hook suspension and 4 ft. tree straps weighs 13.47 ounces while the Leisure weighs 17.6 ounces without suspension. Do they include carabiners in that weight? I'm not sure.

Carabiners are included in that weight. They are 3 oz. of the total weight.
    Infinity Outfitter
    Dominic & Tamara
    www.infinityoutfitter.com

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    That's pretty funny. Kammok is actually not all that popular on HF - there are not a lot of threads started about their products because frankly, they're not marketing to hard-core hammockers who join a forum and actually research choices. Their market is the absolute noob who doesn't know any better.

If cost, weight, and customer service don't matter, then Kammok is a fine choice.
    Absolute noob here and gotta admit, the reason I bought a Kammok Roo and the Dragonfly for my first setup was the sheer simplicity of it all. I think it still made good sense to just pickup something right off the shelve, rather than immediately go for more elaborate custom products. Kammok's setup videos were also much better than what other vendors had for their instructions. The hammock itself is simple but very strong and the Python strap suspension is really hard to get wrong. It was a very good, but rather pricey, temporary "training" hammock for my needs and it allowed me to research other hammocks, different suspensions and various fabrics while still enjoying a good hang. It's pretty darn wide and the fabric itself was quite new to the market upon its release, I think? The stuff sack design is also quite functional. The price of it all ought to have come down by now, though!

Anyway, a few hammock camping trips later, I have now began to seriously ponder and seek out what my next setup ought to be for my own purposes. The Dragonfly bugnet I still like very much and intend to use it along with my upcoming Dream Hammock Freebird. The Kammok is in comparison too heavy-duty for me in terms of weight capacity, but I'm definitely keeping it for lounging purposes.

Having owned and used the Kammok Roo, I can't really recommend it for Pewdiddy either. Simply put, there are many cheaper options out there that newbies like us could use to start our hanging experience.
    Last edited by Jari Perho; 03-27-2015 at 04:50.

Hammock
    10ft Dutch Nylon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Hey guys, first off... THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of your input. Your experience and knowledge have taught me a lot. I can't wait to keep learning more and more about hammock camping and all that comes with it. So I wanted to update you all with my first set and I'm sure not my last. So I splurged on a few non-necessities to help me get going.

image.jpg

10ft. Woodcamo Dutch Nylon hammock.
    Suspension is the red (for head) and grey (for foot) amsteel attached to cinch buckles.
    Two 15ft tree straps both with a Dutch Clip.
    CRL- Dutch Hook and Dutch Wasp.
    Tarp tie-outs: (4) Dutch Tarpworms w/ ShockCord loops
    Two Dutch door clips
    Eight 9in Aluminumn YStakes (got them from a local scout store for $1 a piece)

Hasn't arrived yet but in transit:
    Warbonnet Superfly
    180ft 1.75mm Lash-It.

Gonna head out tomorrow and try it out. I feel like a 6yo trying to go to bed on Christmas Eve.
    Pewdiddy

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast