Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bridge + pad

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    The only cave-at to pads... is making sure they are wide enough.
    As a side sleeper I always did okay with standard pads (20")... but 25/26" models became a mandatory upgrade for me when pairing them with a bridge.

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Spickus View Post
    I tried searching for this but came up empty. Is it practical to use an insulated sleeping pad in a bridge hammock down to the 20s (and sleep comfortably)?
    Sure! I have a WBRR and use a Therm-a-Rest in between the layers hand have had great luck! The Therm-a-Rest pad is not expensive and is useful if I ever needed to go to ground in a pinch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    $30 or so

So, you can buy one, give it a shot, if it doesn't do the trick for you, you are not out much cash and have a very useful pad in your gear quiver!

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur + bugnet
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    Trailwinder/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thank you. I'll give it a shot.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur + bugnet
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    Trailwinder/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Has anyone used a Klymit Hammock V insulated in a gathered end hammock? Specifically at freezing and below.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Pads in a hammock........
    Ridgerunner video 11:40 in.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur + bugnet
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    Trailwinder/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thank you.

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    Has anyone used a Klymit Hammock V insulated in a gathered end hammock? Specifically at freezing and below.
    Yes. I have one and love it. I have used it during some spring snow and below freezing. It's great. Works perfect in bridge hammocks and gathered ends

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have had a Klymit Insulated Static V Lite pad and used it during a summer night in my Ridgerunner hammock. The temps can't have been less than 65°F - I would say it was around 70°F. I woke up shivering at midnight. Granted, I sleep very cold, but Klymit claims an r-value of 4.4!!! I have used a Therm-a-Rest ProLite Plus pad, that "only" has an r-value of 3.4 successfully down to probably 40°F in a hammock, and I'm sure I could have taken it much lower.

As far as I could see, the "insulation" of the Klymit was a very thin (less than 1mm) layer of fuzz glued to the inside of the pad. Even if something like that could provide adequate insulation, the pad has "baffles". If it was a quilt, you would say it was "sewn through". This means, there's no insulation where chambers end. This design might work on the ground, where the air can't circulate (much) between the chambers, but unfortunately, there's a lot of air circulation under the hammock...

I definitely would NOT recommend Klymit for temperatures near freezing - unless you sleep seriously warm. I sold my pad, and I won't buy another Klymit product soon.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I have had a Klymit Insulated Static V Lite pad and used it during a summer night in my Ridgerunner hammock. The temps can't have been less than 65°F - I would say it was around 70°F. I woke up shivering at midnight. Granted, I sleep very cold, but Klymit claims an r-value of 4.4!!! I have used a Therm-a-Rest ProLite Plus pad, that "only" has an r-value of 3.4 successfully down to probably 40°F in a hammock, and I'm sure I could have taken it much lower...I definitely would NOT recommend Klymit for temperatures near freezing - unless you sleep seriously warm. I sold my pad, and I won't buy another Klymit product soon.
    I am very sorry to hear about hutzelbein's unfortunate experiences. I own the Klymit Insulated Static V Ultra Light and the Klymit Insulated Hammock V with the same advertised R-value of 4.4. I have used the ground pad in a tent and the hammock pad in a gathered-end netless hammock, and I have taken both products down into the high 30s several times. FWIW I am a notoriously "average" sleeper and find most quilts and pads comfortable right to the advertised rating (but not below) wearing no more than a light full-coverage microfiber base layer. In the case of the lows with the Klymit pads I paired them with a 30F synthetic top quilt. The heat in these insulated pads is slower to generate and quicker to dissipate than when using a proper underquilt, and it feels different some how,but I did sleep in relative comfort. I would use either pad again in similar circumstances, but I am unsure of their performance all the way down to the freezing mark; you would certainly survive at 32F, but you might not be comfortable or sleep well. At temperatures above 40F, while some models like the Hammock V are overpriced, I definitely think the Klymit insulated pads are viable alternatives, and the rectangular pad would probably work in a bridge hammock if you got the inflation level right. I think the Klymit standard uninsulated pads dimply aren't worth the money. My $0.02. YYMV. HTH...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...V-Sleeping-Pad

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...od-idea-or-not
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    I own the Klymit Insulated Static V Ultra Light and the Klymit Insulated Hammock V with the same advertised R-value of 4.4. I have used the ground pad in a tent and the hammock pad in a gathered-end netless hammock, and I have taken both products down into the high 30s several times. FWIW I am a notoriously "average" sleeper and find most quilts and pads comfortable right to the advertised rating (but not below) wearing no more than a light full-coverage microfiber base layer. In the case of the lows with the Klymit pads I paired them with a 30F synthetic top quilt. The heat in these insulated pads is slower to generate and quicker to dissipate than when using a proper underquilt, and it feels different some how,but I did sleep in relative comfort. I would use either pad again in similar circumstances, but I am unsure of their performance all the way down to the freezing mark; you would certainly survive at 32F, but you might not be comfortable or sleep well.
    I would not compare any pad with an underquilt - I think it's only fair to compare pads with other pads. Before I had tried pads from different manufacturers, I assumed that the r-value is a universal way of measuring insulation. But after using an Exped SynMat 7 UL M (r-value 3.1) and the Klymit Insulated Static V Lite (r-value 4.4) I don't believe that anymore. Both the Exped as well as the Klymit had only a thin layer of synthetic fibers glued to the inner side of the top layer. Without air in the pads, they were completely flat - and as far as I could see neither had tiny chambers like the NeoAir type of pads have. I don't know how these pads are meant to insulate. I was cold with both pads way above the stated working temperatures.

With quilts I usually add 10°-20°F to the stated temperature range for my warmth needs. But for the Exped pad I was cold at 60°F when using it on the ground (!); that's 35° difference to the stated temperature! With the Klymit the difference was similar. If I had only ever used pads from those two companies, I would have assumed that I simply need an r-value of 8 or something. But I have never been cold with any Therm-a-Rest pads even below freezing, and those were rated similar. I would be very interested to hear how these companies measure their r-values. I simply don't understand, how the real world results can be so different! I have been eying pads from other manufacturers, but I'm very hesitant to go through with my order because of my experiences so far.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast