Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by maztrain View Post
    Well MoMo and I are still coming Thursday but I'm not going to join the overnighter .....It seems like it's gonna be icey and slick and I don't want to slip and damage something I worked so hard to fix....It's not worth it to me....But none the less I will be there to see you guys off!!!!! Everyone be careful and see y'all soon!!!!
    Smart.

Quote Originally Posted by smopoim86 View Post
    At this point I'm planning to be there Thursday. I'll make a game time decision whether to do the overnight or not. I'm a little nervous about waking up to blizzard conditions Friday morning and having 4 miles to hike out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Home Run View Post
    We'll be smart about our decision. A day hike up to Wilburn Ridge and a Thursday base camp setup may be in the cards. Safety first.
    Be careful my friends.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I took a friend up to Rhododendron Gap for a winter overnight one Feb, back before I discovered hammocks.

I don't know what the temps were while we were hiking but it got down to 5 below 0 that night.
    While hiking across Wilburn Ridge the wind was so strong that sometimes you had to be ready to lean into it to keep your balance.

There was snow & sleet blowing sideways that would sting the crap out of your face, so at times I had to hold my hood out by that side of my face so I could take a look at were I needed to walk.

Just saying.. it can be a fun adventure but it can be dangerous too.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    11' Nylon w/knotty
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Slings/toggles
    I'm still planning on coming up tomorrow with allhandsondeck, but I agree we should have fluid plans as far as the hike goes and play it on the safe side if things are looking to go sideways (literally-snow ).

LoveDr. is still planning on coming up Friday morning, but looks like the forecasts have snow starting late Thursday night into Friday all day. I'm hoping she can make it up without too many difficulties in the 4WD subaru. Or at least to the base of the camp road, and then maybe we can find a way to get her up the hill

I like snow, but I'm hoping for slightly less than a full-scale record-setting blizzard.

Sorry to hear that several people can't make it, due to many different reasons.
    bonsai, I hope your headaches subside and the insurance co. comes to their senses.
    Maz, you'll be missed on the (potential) hike, but it will be great to see you again.
    climbingkevin, I hope you can find a ride, but it's sensible not to bring a 2WD car in this weather. I did it last year on a small amount of ice, and barely made it up the camp road.
    WV, I hope you have a spontaneous urge to show up, hehe, but if not, you'll be missed. I understand with Freia not being conditioned for the cold.
    And Wraith, sorry to hear about your truck. The cold weather definitely plays havok on vehicles. Hopefully you can still make it somehow, but if you can't and want to remember last year fondly, maybe go find a wind tunnel

Can't wait for the winter wonderland to start!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1/1.7, WBRR 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/WP +S.fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20+AHJB+DIY
    Suspension
    buckle/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by dimjim View Post
    I'm still planning on coming up tomorrow with allhandsondeck, but I agree we should have fluid plans as far as the hike goes and play it on the safe side if things are looking to go sideways (literally-snow ).

LoveDr. is still planning on coming up Friday morning, but looks like the forecasts have snow starting late Thursday night into Friday all day. I'm hoping she can make it up without too many difficulties in the 4WD subaru. Or at least to the base of the camp road, and then maybe we can find a way to get her up the hill

I like snow, but I'm hoping for slightly less than a full-scale record-setting blizzard.

Sorry to hear that several people can't make it, due to many different reasons.
    bonsai, I hope your headaches subside and the insurance co. comes to their senses.
    Maz, you'll be missed on the (potential) hike, but it will be great to see you again.
    climbingkevin, I hope you can find a ride, but it's sensible not to bring a 2WD car in this weather. I did it last year on a small amount of ice, and barely made it up the camp road.
    WV, I hope you have a spontaneous urge to show up, hehe, but if not, you'll be missed. I understand with Freia not being conditioned for the cold.
    And Wraith, sorry to hear about your truck. The cold weather definitely plays havok on vehicles. Hopefully you can still make it somehow, but if you can't and want to remember last year fondly, maybe go find a wind tunnel

Can't wait for the winter wonderland to start!
    Thanks. Yeah unless I can find someone in the northern va/ MD area who has AWD who I can carpool with, I might have to sit this one out. I don't feel like getting stuck on the road in a 2wd car
    My gear load
    lighterpack.com/r/o9iaf

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I carry these in my car at all times in Winter now........http://www.tirechain.com/STRAP-ON-TIRE-CHAINS.htm
    Directions....http://www.tirechain.com/1201.pdf
    Nice when you get stuck in snow or icy snow.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Half wit, 1.1 Poly D
    Tarp
    Cuben, Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ Lots of TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hook,buckles

Car is packed and ready to go! I brought a little firewood to contribute :-)

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Well I went back on forth on this and I have really been concerned about the weather. I said I would decide by lunch today and fortunately I have a boss that also loves the outdoors and is flexible. Long story short, I am about to head out and will probably stay in Chattanooga or Knox tonight depending on the road conditions. I should be there sometime tomorrow mid day on Thursday. I am really not much of a camp chef so so I am not sure what I can really do for the potluck. I will bring some drinks, chips, or anything I can find like that. One of my reasons for going on this trip is because I do want to get better at being able to use a dutch oven etc. So hopefully I will learn a thing or two. I look forward to meeting everyone. Be safe.
    www.timeoutdoors.blogspot.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1/1.7, WBRR 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/WP +S.fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20+AHJB+DIY
    Suspension
    buckle/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppins View Post

Car is packed and ready to go! I brought a little firewood to contribute :-)
    Not 100% sure but I think the park doesn't want you to bring outside firewood for infestation issues.
    My gear load
    lighterpack.com/r/o9iaf

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    CF3 winter palace
    Insulation
    10 uq, 20 tq LocoL
    Suspension
    Webbing and dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeOutdoors View Post
    Well I went back on forth on this and I have really been concerned about the weather. I said I would decide by lunch today and fortunately I have a boss that also loves the outdoors and is flexible. Long story short, I am about to head out and will probably stay in Chattanooga or Knox tonight depending on the road conditions. I should be there sometime tomorrow mid day on Thursday. I am really not much of a camp chef so so I am not sure what I can really do for the potluck. I will bring some drinks, chips, or anything I can find like that. One of my reasons for going on this trip is because I do want to get better at being able to use a dutch oven etc. So hopefully I will learn a thing or two. I look forward to meeting everyone. Be safe.
    I'm in Knoxville and planning to drive up tomorrow morning. Would you be interested in meeting and driving together?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickery View Post
    Scott, hate you can't make it. Has anyone ever prescribed oxygen?
    I'll miss you too. Was really hoping to catch up. I've been using oxygen for over 10 years--it works very well. Unfortunately my new insurance has taken over 3 weeks so far to decide whether they will authorize it. I wouldn't wish cluster headaches on anyone, but sometimes I think these people need to understand the urgency I feel to get what I need.

Hopefully I'll see you again in the fall or next winter. Have a great time, Kent.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast