Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    This weekend, I found that 2 layers worked well, even down to 32*F, but I wanted to add a pad under me bum. So, I decided to stitch a 2'X3' rectangle to the middle of each fitted IX UQ, darted at the long ends so it hangs differentially. That way, two of them nested will give you four layers under your torso, and two layers full length.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    This weekend, I found that 2 layers worked well, even down to 32*F, but I wanted to add a pad under me bum. So, I decided to stitch a 2'X3' rectangle to the middle of each fitted IX UQ, darted at the long ends so it hangs differentially. That way, two of them nested will give you four layers under your torso, and two layers full length.
    Yes, this Insultex stuff is confusing.

I bought one of the i.d.i.gear ponchos with a single layer of Insultex. I think Grizz popped on the edge hems and it looked like the same stuff we are using.

Anyway, after I got the poncho, I tested it by stepping outside very early one morning with jeans and simple cotton Tee shirt on. The temps were about 35 F. Stood around in the shade (too early for any direct sun anyway ) and protected from the wind. I was comfortable. Not chilly and not over heated. I have since used the poncho in light and heavy rain in temps ranging from 1 or 2 degrees above freezing to about 60 F on my morning hikes with full pack. Again jeans and cotton Tee shirt. I was always comfortable until the temps got to about 50 F and then I was definitely overheating and really sweating at anything above that. The only part of me that got cold was my hand holding my hiking staff until I finally figured out how to hold the staff with my hand wrapped with the poncho. I would get a slight chill occasionally when a draft of wind blew in through the poncho sides. But I warmed quickly. The poncho is wide enough that the side drafts are not really a problem. The poncho was very, very good at blocking the wind. As near as I can tell, the outer fabric is simply DWR ripstop nylon. I remained dry and warm even with heavy rain.

So a single layer while hiking is good to at least freezing and probably below freezing for me. Also, good for me to mid-thirties for at least 30 minutes when just standing around after transitioning from a house in the mid-50s.

So, one, two or three layers???

Too many variables to give a good answer.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Just thought that I would bump this because of all of the interest in Insultex.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

IX

I'm coming in late on this, but, I have a layer of Insultex in my down 4"+ over quilt. The Insultex is next to me, not on top of the down filling. Neither the inside or outside fabric is treated to be water resistant. I have used it into the mid teen temperatures. No condensation towards me under the quilt. And no dampness build-up in the down filling. If Insultex ever gets affordable again, I would really like to try TD's design. Thanks for all the information on this thread.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just got an IX lined "guide shirt" with a single layer of IX - man that thing is warm! My normal winter jacket is a snugpak sleeka, which has a comfort rating of around 23F (low of 14F,) and I'd say the guideshirt is as warm as my jacket.

I do see how it would make one sweat if in motion - definitely vapor barrier-like.
    Alas, the IX guide shirt doesn't fit well around my boobs, so I am giving it to my 14 year old nephew - that kid gets all my hand-me down (and some not-hand me down) gear!

I can see how Mac's IX sock would be darn warm! If I do try to do some cold weather hanging, I'm considering using a sleeping bag a peapod/DebW-style with an IX sock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789