Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post
    Here I often have a lot of morning dew, even if the sky is clear, and you cannot really predict if it will happen or not, but there often is, and you can get soacked with it !
    Yeah I'm not sure when dew forms. Usually when it's too warm for me to hike anyway, but you never know. It can soak you as much as rain!

I'm going to think about this cuben a little more...not real confident though.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Sitting here watching the cuben tarp in my cart. Still having trouble getting over ~50% increase in packed size. But I'll kill 10oz immediately...that's like the weight of 2 dinners or a fleece jacket.

Hammock
    DIY Robic 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie/straps
    Images
    Just do it!!!! You know you want to!

IMG_0777.jpg

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Do any CF tarps have internal pole mods like the UGQ Winter Dream (in sil/poly) does?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoutmaster1056 View Post
    Just do it!!!! You know you want to!

IMG_0777.jpg
    Looks good! Now I'm wondering if I want the doors. I've never been a fan of the "better to have them than not" even if they only add an ounce. I like the simplicity of no doors, and often get lucky with the weather. But this would be a nice once-and-done purchase if I do doors. I just keep torturing myself!

Hammock
    Dutch 10' Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    SLD w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Looks good! Now I'm wondering if I want the doors. I've never been a fan of the "better to have them than not" even if they only add an ounce. I like the simplicity of no doors, and often get lucky with the weather. But this would be a nice once-and-done purchase if I do doors. I just keep torturing myself!
    You can go with the Hex for now and buy 2QZQ's Grizz Beaks later

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I just keep torturing myself!
    Just do it. The last time you tortured yourself over a purchase, it was a 3/4 UQ, which you sold pretty soon after purchasing, preferring full-length UQs. You'll probably get the cf tarp, decide it's too bulky, then sell it a couple of months later!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Oh I got SOOO close to pulling the trigger on an 11' hex today. Thru paypal and everything, just couldn't hit that last button.
    Thanks for making me laugh today!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post
    Here I often have a lot of morning dew, even if the sky is clear, and you cannot really predict if it will happen or not, but there often is, and you can get soacked with it !

As for unfolding snake skins and pitching 4 stacks of a tarp in the dark, at the very last moment, just when you are about to fall asleep, I don't like that !

So I guess I'll just try it and sell it back to one of you here if it doesn't work

My plan is to take this asym and the winter palace and to look at the weather forecast before choosing which tarp to set up for the night, because when it is a clear and no wind, having this little asym high up above you must be quite nice, and if one thinks about it, there are many nights like that. Just want to try so I can say it works or it doesn't.

Also I really like the idea of having only one guy line to pay attention not to stumble upon in the night on the side I get out of the hammock, and this guy line will be in the center, so I probably won't even go there, whereas with a normal tarp, you cannot pass in the center, because the tarp is too low there, so you go towards the head end or foot end of your hammock to get out of here, and there you find a big tree trunk in front of you, so if you are conscious enough at that point, you manage not to hit it and you start going around it, but when avoiding the roots, you find there is this tarp guyline there you need to lift your leg quite high to pass, and that basically wakes you up completely. And the worse thing is you have to repeat to go to bed.

If I can skip tarp completely on a hot dry summer night, I surely do.
    I slept under the stars just north of LaCiotat and the dew was thick on my sleeping bag when I woke, along with the escargot - nothing like what I've experienced in North America. So, I know exactly what you're talking about.

I have a 10' hex tarp, and what I like to do if I know I'm in an area where either the dew is intense like that, or the trees, birds or squirrels tend to drop things for fun, other than branches, on me, I'll just hang it high and completely splayed out and that works fine. I don't think the coverage is so much more that the asym. tarp that you'd miss too much, unless it's a larger tarp. I have a 10' hammock by the way.

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    If that can be a consolation, you are not the only one

Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings
    I slept under the stars just north of LaCiotat and the dew was thick on my sleeping bag when I woke, along with the escargot - nothing like what I've experienced in North America. So, I know exactly what you're talking about.

I have a 10' hex tarp, and what I like to do if I know I'm in an area where either the dew is intense like that, or the trees, birds or squirrels tend to drop things for fun, other than branches, on me, I'll just hang it high and completely splayed out and that works fine. I don't think the coverage is so much more that the asym. tarp that you'd miss too much, unless it's a larger tarp. I have a 10' hammock by the way.
    La Ciotat, nice place...!
    I know you are right and everyone telling me this is right, but I want to try this asym, just because I love the concept. Then I will be able to say : "OK, that was stupid, let's get the Hex, or let's just use the Winter Palace, and try to get rid of the asym, but who knows, at least I will have learned what an asym is. I am still in the period where I camp in a hammock just because it is something I don't want to miss in my life. Then, I will probably love it and carry on, or give up and go back to ground camping. We'll see, I am having fun experimenting, now. Some people like to go on holiday in 4 stars hotels, I like to buy a tarp or a quilt, and you know you are like me

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    Do any CF tarps have internal pole mods like the UGQ Winter Dream (in sil/poly) does?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I haven't seen any CF tarp with internal pole mods. CF has zero stretch so I'm not too sure an internal pole would work as well as it does in sil/poly. I use an external pole on my hex when I'm not super concerned about pack weight and it works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast