The ground work:
I have always found using a bug net, either in a tent, over my head or over my hammock Hot & Stuffy. It seemed that the more I needed one, the less likely I was to use it, as the hotter it gets the more the bugs are active, but the hotter it is inside a bug net.

What brought this back to mind:
I was watching Les Stroud (Survivor man) the other night, The episode where he is in the Amazon. He used his head netting as a fishing net. Les & small pool of water about 7 – 8 feet from the camera. Les dips his bug netting fishing net into the water, then turns to the camera & walks about 5’ to the camera & says something like “Oh look, I caught some fresh water shrimp” Then the scene cuts to him eating said shrimp. From the time Les pulled the netting out of the water till he cut away was roughly 15+ seconds. At the start, there was about 8” of water in the netting.

The epiphany:
At the end of the 15 seconds, there was still over 6” of water in his head netting. This is not no-see-em (I have the same head netting thingy). Admittedly, the “water” was rather muddy, and water is thicker than air. But only 2” of water draining out in 15 seconds? And, the netting was being stretched by the weight of the water, causing the holes to be larger. No wonder I suffocate in bug netting.

What does it all mean?
I have no idea. I have never actually used the head netting & I took the bug netting off of my hammock over a year ago & likely will not be replacing it anytime soon. So I guess this is just a FYI.