Great forum! I'm 42, with 42 years of camping experience. I first started getting interested in hammocks when I started backpacking when I started scouts. I lusted after one of those 9.99 green nylon knotted hammocks, but never got one. After that, I saw a Clark, and wanted one of those, as well. I finally bought (for father's day) a yard hammock about five years ago to relax in the back yard. It's one of the multi-colored cotton jobbies with a huge load limit so we could pack the family in. The boys love using it. I occasionally look at the Hennessy/Clark/Warbonnet/others, but I just can't justify spending the money. I recently decided to grab a lighter weight hammock, and got a Grand Trunk double para since they were reasonable. I started looking into making my own bug net and tarp, and stumbled upon the HF through Sgt. Rock's web site. I hope to make a bug net, then tarp, and a hammock. I enjoy fixing things other people would throw away (and feel guilty if I don't), and I like making my own things. I had come up with the idea to use some reflectix and an old camping pad and my old poncho liner to extend my backyard use. I guess there are no new ideas under the sun! I hope to set up a basic system, shake it down, and hammock camp while I though-hike the Knobstone Trail in southern Indiana. I enjoy backpacking, camping, reading, tinkering with gear and smokers, and I'm active with my sons' Cub Scout Pack. Any suggestions on how to pick up basic sewing skills is appreciated. I made my kids Jedi costumes last year, but my stitching was pretty ugly! Also, if there are any groups or hangs in the Indiana, KY, OH, TN, IL area, I'd be interested in information.

Brent

PS I Love Shug's videos.