Hammock
    DIY Bridge - Pirogue
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped Downmat
    Images

SOLD: DIY ultralight ghost hammock system

So, in preparation for a backpacking trip up into the Sierras this summer, I decided to try my hand at making an ultralight gathered-end hammock. I used Sgt. Rock's ghost hammock plans (available here) as my template. I used 1.4oz ripstop nylon to have a little more strength than the 1.1 affords. To accompany the hammock, I made an Insultex underquilt (3-layer, full length), Fronkey-style bug net (not shown), and a cat-cut silnylon asym tarp. For tree straps, I made some ultralight ones using dynaglide (as described by Grizz in one of his ultralight youtube videos) -- only the back of the strap is webbing; the rest is dynaglide whoopies that are attached via diamond knots and secured with solomon bars. All the cordage for the hammock is dynaglide (green for the head end, orange for the foot end / ridgeline. The ridgeline is detachable via a dynaglide soft shackle. There are 1/2" SS rings captured at the cord channels for hanging the underquilt. The integrated stuff sack positioned at the shoulder can also be used as a small pocket while in the hammock (phone, gps, etc.). All ready to go, right?

Then my wife got pregnant . Hardly a bad thing, but.. it looks like car camping for the forseeable future, which means I will be using my luxurious (and heavy!) bridge hammocks.. or even possibly (gasp!) a tent. Seeing as I no longer have a need for it, I'm selling this ultralight hammock system.

Here are some specs:

Ghost hammock (with tree straps/suspension and integrated stuff sack): 9.9 oz
    Asym tarp (with suspension and bishop bag): 7.4 oz
    Bug net: 7.3 oz
    Insultex UQ: 19.4 oz

Prices are as follows:
    Hammock: $70 - Sold
    Tarp: $60 - Sold
    Underquilt: $70 - Sold
    Bug Net: $20 - Sold

I'm willing to sell the whole set for $200 (i.e., Buy the rest and I'll throw in the bug net for free!).

Prices include shipping to anywhere in the lower 48 states.

Pictures below:

Last edited by Tijereyes; 08-22-2013 at 10:45. Reason: "buying" the hammock/tarp/UQ from myself; bug net has been claimed.

• + New Posts