Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Cloud. DIY bridge #2

After nearly 9 months of procrastination, I finally got around to making bridge #2. Code name:

The Cloud.

Double layer, uncoated, 1.6oz/sqyd PacificTech polyester tafetta in white. 3/8" grey webbing from Strapworks. 7/64" grey Amsteel. Tree straps with Elephant Trunks from Bloomgorge. Spreader bars from Quest. About 5 hours of cutting/sewing, and another 3 for the suspension and cutting the spreaders to length. I had some issues with figuring out how to put a fixed eye on both ends of the cordage for my suspension triangles...but finally got it to work. Who knew you pass a completed fixed eye through your tail of 7/64" Amsteel to make your second locked brummel on the other end?!?

After some discussion with Grizz on a previous thread, I settled on dimensions that were about half way between the GrizzBridge Rhino and the Eureka Chrysalis:

Length: 80"
    Arc depth: 6"
    Width at head: 45"
    Head spreader: 39"
    Width at waist: 30"
    Width at foot: 40"
    Foot spreader: 30"

Weights:

Tree straps with Elephant Trunks: 3.4oz
    Spreader bars: 9.9oz
    Hammock with suspension: 12.3oz
    Total: 25.6oz

This seems like a nice happy medium to me. Flat/wide across the shoulders, not terribly tippy, and good views. I initially bought some 1/4" closed cell foam that I cut in an hourlglass shape to match the Cloud, but I ended up not liking the way it wrinkled or bunched up under the shoulders under tension. Decided to try out the extreme other end of pads, the Exped DAM9, which turned out to be pillowy goodness. I have yet to embrace the world of underquilts, but have several different pads. With the waist being 30", just about any of my pads should work, giving it some versatility.

The Cloud from the foot end with Exped DAM9 in between layers.

Fixed eye larks headed to hammock.

Suspension apex: Fixed eyes of triangle sides larks headed by fixed eye of whoopie.

Bloomgorge's Elephant Trunk. Love these things!

It's really hard to get to the hammock, shuck off shoes, get in and situated AND remember to smile before the camera's timer goes off!

iPhone self portrait: Comfy!

View from the Cloud.

Laying in the hammock I have gotten some ideas on how to fit a weather shield or bug sock to this bridge... In 9 months or so I's probably get around to trying them out.
    Last edited by BER; 10-06-2011 at 18:25. Reason: weights added

• + New Posts