This weekend I had a lucid dream about different build techniques for IX in an underquilt. (DIY has become of sickness.)

My first thought was to build an IX layered underquilt using the same principles as fish scales or roof shingles. Overlapping sections which create small pockets of air. This seemed to be, in my mind, a way to more evenly create the gaps needed to fully utilize the heating properties of IX. Once I had a chance to wake up and think through the process, I determined that making the scales would require a little more effort. I believe the quilted pattern used to create the IX material itself would probably fall apart in the process of creating the scales, which would probably require some “fiddling” on my behalf. I don’t relish the idea of re-sewing each indvidual scale.

The natural progression of my mind dump led me to the thought of creating baffles with the IX and either leaving the baffles empty, or using an inexpensive synthetic batting material to fill the void and ensure that a gap was maintained.

This is where my head is at now…stuck, wondering if the idea is sound, but not willing to buy the IX to test it.

Try as I might, my forum Search-Fu is weak, and I couldn’t find much on the subject since “IX” is too short of a word to be searchable.

I was able to find a posting by dblhammock, here, where he created a shingled version of a Top Quilt. I was not able to find anything regarding the use of Insultex as a baffle, though. Anyone have a post resting in their subscriptions on the subject?

Here’s a picture of the concept I’m thinking of:

I’m really looking for someone to say, “Yeah, been there, done that…don’t waste your time.”

Thanks for your help!