Friends of mine are house sitting in Blowing Rock with their two year old and 6 month old chilluns. They decided to attend the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games and invited me for a day trip. It was their first time; but it was the 5th time for me, the last being almost 20 years ago. The games were not much different, just more people and more clans represented. Many people, including me, were dressed to some extent in the traditional way of a Scotsman. The events were unique! The music was excellent! We had no trouble navigating with a double wide jogging stroller, in spite of the crowds.

When my kids attended, years ago, they said the games have to be the safest place on earth, because everyone is so well armed with dirks and swords! It's still that way. Even the NCSU pipe and drum band (presumably government employees) had sgian-dubhs in their socks.

One thing that was different was the single malt tasting station. For $35 you could have all you could drink. They were serving several varieties of Ardbeg and Glenfiddich in little one ounce plastic cups, two at a time, so you could compare one to another. My friend generously paid for mine. We started at about 1:30, and took the last bus off the mountain at 5pm, so it was excellent timing! We were back to normal when we cranked up the automobiles at 6pm.

Instead of heading east for Trouble Ranch, I went to Linville Falls and ordered a coffee to go and a Strawberry Rhubarb Pie at Famous Louise's Rock House Restaurant. I asked if Shirley was there, and the waitress told me she's in the kitchen, go on in. Shirley recalled the last time I stopped by after the Games, and asked if I wore my kilt. She laughed when I told here I changed before coming to the restaurant because I didn't want her to embarrass me in front of everyone. The last time I wore me kilt into the restaurant, Shirley was being snarky, and I was being snarky back... an' she said in a loud voice, "Just remember, I'm the one wearing the pants here!"

I took the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to 421, so it was a wonderful drive home. I made a good cigar last the whole trip, but for the last 25 minutes.