It's in between seasons and still fairly cold most nights in the Georgia mountains. I'm headed out on a three day backpack next weekend and I'm thinking about the gear I'll take. I bought a new backpack which has a small volume and there really isn't a lot of room in it for my underquilt so I'm thinking about taking a thermorest (ridgerest) pad instead of my underquilt. My hammock has a sleeve to hold the pad. I know I can always tie the underquilt to the outside of the pack and I just might do that if it fits. The rolled up ridgerest makes a great cooler for the frozen steaks I'm taking though .....

What I'm wondering is about how cold can you go with a 3/4 length foam pad and a 20 degree top quilt? I know there is no definitive answer to this because everyone is different. It doesn't take a lot to keep me warm (self insulated with blubber). I take the pad in the summer and its fine for summer temps. I took it once in the fall and froze because it was below 40 at night, it was extremely windy and my hammock at the time didn't have a sleeve so my pad kept falling out.

Guessing overnight temps is difficult but my best guess is that it will be in the mid 40's to low 50's at night up at elevation.

So what do you guys think? Is mid 40's to low 50's too cold for a foam pad?