Quote Originally Posted by quanjano View Post
I’ve heard you have to be more careful with packing dcf because it will lose its integrity or something along those lines. Right now I use a Dutchware snakeskin and I don’t roll the tarp or anything beyond just pulling the snakeskin over the tarp. Will that be fine for the DCF?

While I have this opportunity to change my setup, I am also looking into what to do with the doors on the new tarp. As it is, I don’t actually tie out the doors to stakes or the trees or anything, I just use mitten hooks and shock cord to clip my door to the opposite corner of the tarp. Is there any reason to carry an extra 4 stakes and have to worry about 4 more tieouts during setup instead of just clipping the doors?
I've found DCF to be too stiff to just pull on a mesh snake skin without risk of damage. Instead, I roll mine from the end corner. Almost as fast and the skin slips on easily.

I also use mitten hooks and shock cord to keep the doors folded back under the tarp. That's how they stay 80% of the time, but are very quick and easy to unclip and hook to the opposite tie- out to close the doors. I do carry a few shepherd's hook titanium stakes for the rare times I might want to stake out the doors, but on a thru I'd probably leave them at home in favor of using sticks given how infrequently I would use them, especially on a thru. With smaller trees and a closer pitch I have at times been able to attach the hooks around the tree, but that isn't frequently feasible.

By the way, I also keep a small prussik on the continuous ridge line to keep the doors on one end tied back when I want to close the doors at the other end.

I hope the rest of your hike goes well. Enjoy and cherish every moment!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk