So I recently acquired a Ridgerunner, and so far I’m delighted. I’ve picked up a couple of AHE underquilts, a Spindrift, and the Fugal buttons, and I definitely sleep better in it than in a gathered-end.

So here’s my question for more experienced Ridgerunner owners. I do have the newer model with the rings in the bugnet to attach a ridgeline, and it came with the shock-cord lines to attach to the hammock suspension. I added a ridgeline ring-to-ring, and initially replaced the shock cords with a bit stiffer shock cord, to get less droop. Now that summer is coming, though, I’m used to hanging a battery-powered fan from my ridgeline. On the structural ridgeline on a GE hammock, there’s no trouble with the weight, but the shock cords can’t really handle it without tightening them to the point that they’re not really elastic (and I don’t like putting bugnet under that much elastic tension).

What I have done, but haven’t spent the night in it with, is to replace the shock cords with a hybrid system, of non-elastic cordage with a shock-cord loop at the end; it has some flex, but less than a whole shock cord would.

Am I risking a torn net by doing that? My assumption from the fact that they ship it with elastic cordage is that the bugnet design is prone to tearing under tension, but I have trouble seeing that unless the cordage is really out of whack.

—r

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk