Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki

Missouri Frozen Butt Hang 2021

Let’s keep the tradition going. I’ve enjoyed the two FBHs I’ve attended and have a suggestion for a 2021 event. I maintain a section of the Ozark Trail on Peck Ranch and believe the area would be great for a 2021 MO FBH. My suggestion would be to camp at Peck Ranch in the Pine Loop Campground on Friday night, January 7, then drive up the hill to the OT trailhead and walk down the north fence road to where the Ozark Trail joins the road, then crosses Rogers Creek to ascend to the primary bald on Stegall Mountain (about 3 miles) to camp atop Stegall Mountain Saturday night, January 8. The sunset and sunrise view from Stegall can be special and the bald itself is a gem. For any not wanting to hike the 3 miles (500 ft climb), the bald can be reached by driving to the fire tower gate parking lot just off the hill at the fire tower, and walking 1 mile on a forest road to the hilltop where the OT comes into the bald (about 120 ft climb) on a good condition forest road.

We would have a potluck supper Friday with everyone bringing their Saturday and Sunday food. I will have firewood at both locations (staff prefers local wood and they approved my cutting any wood I choose on Peck), plus I will cache some water at the camp site above the bald for Saturday and Sunday (amount to be determined). I will attach some pictures. The Pine Loop is CG is a 3 acre ML pine grove with a pit toilet. There is artesian well/spring water available at the well house and at a faucet at the maintenance building. For years the staff and public used the water as the sole water source but stopped a few years ago when the water became cloudy. Water is now labeled and recommended not to be potable. It is clear and a great source for water for boiling or for treating. The Stegall Bald is a sensitive ecological area and we will use it accordingly by camping in the woods above the bald and having our fire in the woods rather than on the bald itself.

If you are interested and like the idea please reply and we can continue further with planning and logistics. Hope to hear from my hanging friends and see you all again. I attended the last Taum Sauk hang and the Devils Den hang. Directions will be given if there is interest and we decide to hang on Stegall Mountain.

Joe Beussink
    Last edited by runners_low; 12-15-2021 at 06:29. Reason: correct spelling

• + New Posts