My wife was on a face time call with her newly found 1/2 sister in MN today, and she was showing us the snow she had to shovel off of her porch. Made me jealous, and made me think of Shug. But at least it is for sure a whole bunch cooler down here than it was just a few weeks ago. My fav time of year is here! YAY!

But Slowhike's thread asking if any of the old guys were still around got me looking at some of my old threads. One was a trip report for the Wind River Mountains of WY 1st week Sept 2008. I was using my still somewhat new Speer Pea Pod over a Claytor No Net, my step son- for his 1st trip or cold weather camp in a hammock- was using my WB synthetic Yeti on his Claytor. We both did fine with lows in the mid 20s. But on October 9, I pulled up a weather forecast for the same area we were backpacking in. The link no longer works. But fortunately I copied the report in my post. Oh my, what a difference one month can make! If we had made this trip in Oct, we would have really needed deep winter(by my standards) gear:
.................................................. ..................... Forecast Oct 9, 2008

Tonight: Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 18. Breezy, with a west southwest wind 19 to 22 mph decreasing to between 9 and 12 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
.................................................. .......

Friday: Snow. High near 26. West southwest wind between 5 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Friday Night: Snow. Low around 13. Wind chill values as low as -1. East wind between 5 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Saturday: Snow. High near 19. Wind chill values as low as -4. Windy, with a east northeast wind 17 to 20 mph increasing to between 27 and 30 mph. Winds could gust as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Saturday Night: Snow. Low around 6. Blustery, with a east northeast wind between 18 and 26 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Sunday: Snow, mainly before noon. High near 24. Chance of precipitation is 80%.