Hello community,

I am happy to announce that I completed my first two hammock camping trips and I am totally hooked. I went paddling in Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario. The first time I had a friend in a tent tagging along who offered me to join her inside in case the hammock thing wouldn't work out. I used a synthetic UQ (first two pictures) that indeed didn't work so well, but an alu pad saved the nights.

For my second trip, I had switched to a down UQ from 49th parallel (HOGS) which worked much better! There's a whole thread in camping hammocks about my issues with side sleeping, so I won't elaborate on that here, but the good news are that I was warm and comfy forcing my body to sleep on the back.

I love about hammock camping that I immediately see my environment upon waking up. I am hearing impaired, and at night - without hearing aids - all sounds become fuzzy and impossible to interpret for me. I hung close to the lake (wind wasn't an issue) which meant it was completely dark only for a few hours, and whenever I woke up, I could scan my camp site instead of worrying about what was going on out there (not much anyway). This gave me an added layer of safety, especially on my second trip, which was a solo one. Seeing the dawn creeping up behind the treeline is another wonderful perk of hammocking.

I am attaching a couple of pictures for those that wanted to see more of beautiful Ontario. I paddled on Lake Opeongo, which is Algonquin's biggest lake and makes for hourlong paddles without the need to portage. We and I got very lucky in terms of sunshine. The only night and subsequent day with heavy rain was the 2nd night of my solo kayak trip, all other nights I was good with the small Hennessy tarp.

Have a wonderful day!

Ms Fancy Water

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk