Last night I set up my Warbonnet XLC and used an under quilt I made from the ripstopbytheroll kit. First I need to say I had the best sleep I’ve had backpacking/camping in years in that hammock. So happy I found this site.

With that said I struggled a bit with the quilt. I knew going into this that it would not be a perfect fit but wanted to do something cheap to try this out figuring I could repurpose the UQ as a regular quilt for one of my kids when we go camping if I decided I liked this and could invest in a nice down one that’s more packable.

I didn’t have any trouble with the sides staying in place and The issue I ran into and I read this may be a problem is that it doesn’t get snug in the middle and creates almost a tunnel for the cold air. It got down to about 50 last night and at about 3am I could feel the cold air but it was tolerable. I’m not concerned with making this quilt work because it’s just not practical for backpacking it’s a 10 degree synthetic climashield and compresses down at best to the size of a volley ball give or take and is on the heavier side.

I’d like to invest in a nice down UQ. The wookie seems to come highly recommended. But it seems you have to decide which way you want to lay in the hammock because it’s designed to be used in that direction. I guess my long winded question is will this straight up not work if you decide you want to set up the XLC in the other direction for laying in or is it just not optimal.

ive seen a few other quilts that are recommended but require some fiddling to be optimal. I assume it’s a similar fiddling to the diy one I made?

thanks for any help.