I'm planning to purchase my first hammock camping setup. I've done a fair amount of backpacking with a tent, and I've just never slept well. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get more rest in a hammock, though I haven't actually tried it. We have an Eno for lounging in the back yard, but it's not really meant for diagonal lay sleeping. I want to purchase a hammock, suspension, tarp, and underquilt and keep it as light as my tent setup which comes up to around 4.6 pounds (Marmot Tungsten + Thermarest Prolite). I'm fortunate to not be worried too much about cost, but of course I don't want to just throw away money. My primary concerns are comfort, warmth, and weight. I'm 5'10" and about 210 pounds, and in a normal bed I prefer a firmer mattress. (I'm not sure if that translates into hammocks as well.)

Here's what I'm thinking:

Hammock: Dream Sparrow 11ft, 60" wide single layer in 1.2oz MTN. Also considered WBBB XLC, but I'd like to use without a bugnet in nice conditions, and the "shelf" goes away without the net.

Underquilt: UCQ Zeppelin. I'm very interested in the baffle/draft collar for warmth.

Tarp: I just pulled the trigger on a Simply Light Winter Haven. I went with straight cuts and center tie outs because I may want to use this as a ground tent as well. Considered Superfly and HG Journey. I'll probably also pick up the Simplicity Asym for lighter weight in warmer weather.

Suspension: Warbonnet 15 ft. Becket Straps and continuous loops on hammock. I'm fine with knots, and these are super light. My only concern would be quick adjustability. I've looked at lightweight whoopie slings also. I may just pick some up and play with them.

All of this should come up to about 4.1 pounds (less than my tent setup) with the Winter Haven, and less with the asym tarp. I'm interested in your thoughts!

Questions:

• Will 1.2oz MTN be too stretchy at my weight, and should I opt for a heavier fabric such as 1.6oz HyperD, 1.7oz MTN, or 1.8oz Airwave?
  • Is there any benefit in going to double-layer for better wind protection, warmth, and firmer lay? If it doesn't provide wind protection and warmth, should I just go to a heavier fabric for a firmer lay?
  • How useful is the topcover on the Sparrow hammock? I've read a lot about condensation when it's cold, which tells me that my Winter Haven will probably be the best tool to keep me warm in the Winter. Is the topcover worth it for wind protection in warmer weather?