I admire the people who can whip out a down quilt with only 15-16 hours of work. Seriously, I’ve been working on a new 40* set for my last two days off work, and I’m just now cutting the baffles. I’m normally a pretty lazy measurer, which ended up costing me another set of fabric last time. This time, I’ve taken great pains to be careful, and still ended up with an extra inch after id marked out the baffle lines. I’ve tried tape, clips, etc., and a chalk marker seems to agree with me best.

Anyway, I’ll get to the point. I have a really hard time following seam allowances - it might be the word ‘allowance’ that I have an aversion to. How necessary IS it to fold the baffle material over on itself while sewing? I realize this is supposed to prevent unraveling and make it stronger, but is the raveling thing really a big risk, since it’s not exposed?

I feel like I *should,* especially since I’ve got $100 worth of fabric sitting in front of me. I was just curious about how many people actually do this. It would sure save some time and headache. My brain still hurts from the measuring!