Thread: Down booties?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    BillyBob58, you're not a weirdo, just an alternate (and possibly superior) branch on the hammocking evolutionary tree. Oh, ye hammockers, your eventual solutions may be different from BillyBob's, but ignore his underlying reasoning at your peril!

It could be hypothesized that there is a correlation between short attention spans and cold feet, but the jury's still out on that one ....
    Ha Ha! Thanks for the kind words, WV, and extra meaningful/appreciated coming from you! I guess monkeys are a different branch, but they do have their positive points, so maybe I do as well(hopefully), even if quite different from the other branches.

All I really know is that- when adding too many layers and/or VBs- I am way likely to be too warm than cold even at or below a quilts rating. And that I have never suffered from cold feet, but going by recent experiences, been way to far in the opposite direction. Some of those very warm results have been by following Shug's directions of wrapping my super light weight Sierra Designs down jacket around the foot end of the hammock and TQ, and inserting a near weightless AHE foot/sit pad into my TQ foot box. Others have been mainly by use of VB socks.

I suppose if I had to do like Shug and tackle minus 20F or greater, I would do all of that, kind of like I did at my PB of +6F. What was way too warm for my feet at +6F might be OK at minus 20F or even minus 30F? Especially since I would almost certainly have my feet in a TQ footbox rated way warmer than +30F, on top of an UQ rated way warmer than the HHSS's about +32F. But even without those changes, I couldn't help but guess that hot sweaty feet at a balmy +6F would roughly = still warm enough feet at maybe zero F, or maybe a bit below. Sadly, a southern boy would have to travel in winter to put such theories to the test.

But, in the meantime, we always have Shug. Who, though I have never known him to use VBs, has used another of my favs- i.e. pods- with huge success at as much as minus 40F. Previously, I mentioned in favor of a layering tech the fact that several posts here about bye bye cold feet after adding booties, and that having added/layered these booties did not seem to keep the footbox of anyone's TQ from doing it's job.

But now I recommend going to watch Shug's video of his latest minus 31F outing. Please take notice of when he pops out of his quilts and starts making his Medaglia D'oro from the hammock. Notice that he is wearing some fairly significant layers, a down jacket and I don't know what but obviously something under it. Along with a separate, thick down hood covering the down jacket hood and who knows what else, and of course a face mask. Can't say what would happen if he added a big, thick parka, if other than probably making it less comfy due to less room. I don't know if that would make him colder, assuming he avoided sweat. But, the layers he is wearing are not insignificant, and no sign of them preventing his quilts from doing their job.

Same for me. More layers more likely to make me too hot, rather than too cold. Although, if I allowed that to progress to sweating(assuming no VBs in use), THEN I might well end up too cold. From the sweat being wicked into my insulation.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-16-2022 at 11:06.

• + New Posts