The Ozark Trail is a 350 mile trail located in south east MissourI. I set out planning to hike the northern most section of the the Ozark Trail from the Council Bluff Lake boat launch up to Onondaga State Park. The itinerary was to hike 65 miles over 4.5 days, however I was feeling good and trail proved easy to walk and I initially covered more miles than planned.

Initially the weather was nice, but it was apparent where the high water had been just a few days earlier. When the rain started on Day 2, it didn't take long for the water logged flood prone area's creeks to rise. I still managed to crank out 24 miles on Day 2. At the end of Day 2, the rain really came down.

On Day 3, I knew I would come to the Courtios Creek. This "creek" is a tubing, kayaking, and canoeing hot spot and known to be a challenging crossing in normal conditions. The week prior I was monitoring a USGS water level gauge online for a river in the area. Folks online told me the gauge being monitored needed to be at 3.5 feet to cross the Courtios. The gauge reached 8.5 feet the previous week, but had fallen to 4 feet.... prior to the rain. It rose to 6.5 feet, but I had to see the creek. After a 15 mile walk on day 3, I reached the Courtios and the amount of water flowing on this "creek" was amazing. The crossing at Bass Resort was about 300-400 feet across and the fastest current was on the far side of the "creek". It was very clear to even the most motivated hiker that it was uncrossable. Knowing that the Courtios would need to be crossed a second time in 8 miles, I knew I wouldn't be able to complete the remaining miles unless I waited a few days (for the creek level to fall).

I managed to get a shuttle back to my car and made my way home.