Hey all,

I'm interested in picking up a 3/4 summer weight UQ and I'd like to stack it with my current full length 20 Degree Down UQ for winter use.

The following are true:

1. Apex's moisture management in high humidity is superior to down.

2. Apex's use as the outside of a TQ layering system aids further in managing moisture in winter conditions when stacked with an inner down quilt as the moisture flowing through the insulation will condense in the outer Apex layer instead of the inner down layer.

What I have not been able to find a ton of information on is stacking an Apex UQ with a Down UQ and the level of benefit and best uses. In theory, I would assume it would work the same. Warm, moist air from your body pushes through the down and condenses in the Apex which can handle it better. Seems simple enough.

In practice though, is this as large an issue for UQs as it is for TQs? I would assume (I have no scientific basis for this) that more warm moist air is going to try to escape up from your body instead of below. Is the warm moist air escaping from underneath you a large enough issue to make a heavier and bulkier Apex UQ worth it? If this was not going to be used in a winter system, I would likely opt for down and enjoy the weight/bulk savings and longer lifespan.

If the use of Apex is worth it in a winter UQ layering system, is the benefit only realized when it's a full length Apex UQ or would it still work effectively enough as a 3/4 stacked outside a full length down UQ?

When stacking UQs for winter, do you find any features are critical on either the UQs or the hammock? Draft collars on only one or both UQ? UQ Protectors? UQ hooks on the hammock? Any other details you find that make stacking work better?

Thanks for all your advice in advance!