I get it... the progression from pad to UQ and from sleeping bag to TQ but I’m a bit stuck. I sleep cold, like ridiculously cold. I’ve been using my HG under quilts for a few years now and love them, but with a sleeping bag. I got a 20 degree TQ last spring and finally had a chance to use it a couple of weeks ago. The TQ is definitely lighter than my bag, almost 2.5 lbs lighter and I’ve been backpacking so that is significant and so nice!

It was supposed to be about 30 degrees that night. I’d loaned my bag to a buddy who needed one and planned on using my TQ. It worked fine but it ended up being much warmer than originally forecasted, about 45 degrees. Anyway, I cinched up the TQ around my neck a bit and snapped the collar. It was comfortable and plenty warm as long as I didn’t move. I do tend to roll around a bit which of course would let in cold air unless I readjusted. Since it was so warm I slept fine but how do you deal when it is really cold? If it is going to be really cold do you revert to a bag in lieu of a TQ or are you stationary enough it doesn’t matter in your TQ? Thoughts?