Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
Cotton definitely kills. You don't even notice how much moisture collects in cotton. I've never even tried camping in cotton - polyester or wool for me. Vapor barriers are a bit too esoteric for me - BillyBob58 is a big proponent, but one of very few proponents of vapor barriers on HF.

Personally, I find sleeping in the buff to be very helpful. I sweat a LOT while sleeping, but when I'm naked, that perspiration feels like it's non-existent. Down is incredibly efficient at wicking the moisture away from you. Fifteen minutes after I get into my hammock, my feet are completely dry. If you're wearing a bunch of layers of non-efficient clothing, you're just keeping the down from doing what is a much more efficient job of wicking perspiration away.
"too esoteric"! Ha, I love it! They are too esoteric for most, I agree. And "one of very few proponents of vapor barriers on HF.", I think you are right!

And maybe they should try sleeping in the buff, maybe that will work for them! But if cold at 45F in a 0F TQ, time to try something else. Possibly even sleeping in the buff, or maybe the opposite extreme of breathable, VBs. But something is not working very well right now.