Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Darien, El Dorado
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Question Finding (Legal) Places to Hang

I'm probably not the first person to have this experience, but after doing a ton of research on gear, I dove wallet-first into the hobby (hoping to "buy once, cry once") and have been enjoying learning how to hang and have generally been quite comfortable doing so. Unfortunately, after reading all about how to properly hang a hammock to prevent damage, I just sort of assumed that I could post-up anywhere I might go for a picnic as long as I did so with respect to other people using the space. Boy was I wrong! With the exception of my parent's backyard and my Nana's deck, it seems that most places near me just do not want people hanging up anything on trees. I've sent letters out to the various parks and rec organizations for the towns closest to me and I even work for the county myself with some friends in the biz, but I've been cited rules about damaging property every time.

Boo-hoo and oh woe is me aside, how do you guys find legal places to hang? Do I just keep expanding my radius and contacting parks and forests until I find someone willing to allow hammocks? I'm really bummed about having this nice stuff but no-where obvious to use it. I live in a small apartment with my girlfriend (got a Darien for her too!) and I have considered some sort of free standing indoor setup, but ultimately I want to hang outdoors. Maybe you're the sort of person to ask forgiveness rather than permission? Sadly, I'm too much of a "nice guy" for that sort of thing.

I live in Spokane Valley, but I'm more interested in the technique of finding somewhere than straight up suggestions so I felt this forum was more appropriate than the location specific ones.

Thanks in advance.

(i have attached one of the e-mails that represents a typical response i receive)
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts