So I've been hammocking since this lockdown summer and have 'graduated' from falling asleep in a cheap Amazon hammock one summer evening and waking up at like 4a.m. being a little bit chilly, with the phone on my lap, glasses still on. As temperatures got colder, I added in blankets, my sleeping bag, got a new sleeping bag and hung the old one under the hammock as an "underquilt" etc.

My current setup is a WBBB XLC double layer with a 20F SLD Trail Winder symmetric UQ and a Teton Sports 0F Altos mummy sleeping bag. I always have regular clothes on as well as a down vest.

Here's my problem: I get cold towards the morning.

I have used the sleeping bag as an actual sleeping bag, all zipped up, draft collar tightened etc. but I wake up cold at some point during the night, maybe around 4 or 5 a.m. The footbox in the mummy bag is all cold and I had cold feet and the legs felt cold as well. That was on nights around 40F. Usually with this setup, I am too warm when going to bed, feet are so toasty that I have to take even my regular socks off and when I wake up at 2a.m. or something to pee, I gotta put the wool socks on.

So yesterday I tried something different because I thought that I might not actually be using the Trail Winder properly by having all that insulation from the sleeping bag under me (even if squished - but it's synthetic, not down), so my body heat is actually trapped inside the bag too much. I put my sit pad half-inflated under my feet (in between the layers, so it stays put), I did _not_ zip up the sleeping bag and instead I'm using it as a top quilt. Just to be sure I also threw a home made blanket over the sleeping bag, making sure to wrap it around the footbox too. It's just got generic synthetic stuffing in it but it's actually quite nice. I used it as bottom insulation in late-ish summer before. I also use a balaclava now and have a wool beanie standing by in the shelf.

This made going to bed much better. I was able to keep my socks on because it wasn't too hot but I was still toasty warm. I guess is helps that you don't have to wrestle with the zipper and getting everything in the right position, working up a sweat - wanting to open the zipper again because it's too hot now When I woke up to pee for the first time it was all nice and warm, feet were great, legs were great, torso and head great. Top Quilt success.

Or so I thought. Around 4 or 5 a.m. I woke up again and the footbox felt cold, although I do have to say that my feet were actually warm! Whichever way I turned and I was also checking whether my 'top quilt' was still tucked in everywhere, I always felt a cold spot. Stretching my legs out, I could feel the cold all down my legs and even going into fetal position - which helps with the feet tho. There was always a cold spot somewhere in the back although I have to say that I think it was better than the night before but still not comfy. The thermometer says it went down to 34F last night.

So big question: Am I just doing something wrong gear wise? Is it that I'm just a very very cold sleeper?