Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sit Height / Adjustable Ridgeline Question

So I'm brand new here, and I have a possibly n00by question, but here goes:
    I recently bought my first proper hammock system - an 11' dutchware chameleon.
    The hammock is great, but I have a slight problem, or a combination of problems is perhaps more accurate...

Basically by the time I get my suspension loose enough to achieve what I would consider a good ridgeline tension, my butt is a mere 25-30cm away from the floor...not a very comfortable sit-height, and making getting out the hammock a real joy... So, I'm want to achieve two things:

1) Increase hammock sag
    AND
    2) Increase sit height

My question is: will having an adjustable ridgeline allow me to fix both of these problems simultaneously?
    Obviously it will allow me to fix problem 1 (not enough sag), but by doing so (e.g. shortening the ridgeline), will this also raise my hammock off the ground slightly?
    In my head, this would be the case - shortening the ridgeline would cause the suspension webbing / straps to raise up (at the hammock-ends, obviously!) to accommodate the now shorter ridgeline. Is this right?

At the moment, the only way to effectively 'loosen' the ridgeline is to loosen my suspension, but of course, this just brings my butt even closer to the ground, so I'm going round in circles!

Any help would be appreciated!

edit: I should also add that currently in this setup I have in the back garden, I can't just raise the anchor points...well, I can raise one, but the other is fixed. And anyway, I feel like I shouldn't have to stretch to get the suspension straps in the right place to allow for good sit-height and sag! I set everything up using Derek Hansen's Ultimate Hang calculator, so I guess I just didn't consider I might not 'agree' with the standard 110" ridgeline on the chameleon...
    Last edited by Survival_Steve; 09-15-2020 at 15:52.

• + New Posts