I've been living in the Northern Virginia/DC Metro area now for the past 25 years. It might not seem like it at first glance, but this is a great place to live for an avid backpacker/hanger like me. I've been blessed to have relatively close access to great forested locations in VA, WV, MD, and even PA (e.g. Shenandoah NP, George Washington & Jefferson Forests, etc.) where I can get away for weekends (or even a week or two), disappear into the backcountry where there are few day hikers, hang virtually anywhere, and only come back out once I've run out of food or time. I rarely drive more than 2 hours to get to some fantastic locations (maybe just a bit farther for some remote sites in GW/Jeff NF).

I'll be relocating to the Tidewater area next month so I started looking at my options in Southeast VA and Northeast NC. I'm not seeing a lot. I've checked out maps and assorted hiking sites/forums (e.g. All Trails) for good multi-day backcountry backpacking locations where I can go off grid and away from the dog walkers, screeching kids, booze hounds, and music blasters. I'm just not seeing it. I'm concerned that I'll need to drive all the way across the state to get my fix. That's at least 3-1/2 - 4 hours minimum for the nearest option in SNP, and even farther for any other options.

Do any of my fellow hangers know of good "get away from it all" backcountry backpacking areas within a couple of hours of the Roanoke/Virginia Beach/Hampton/Suffolk area?