Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Hennessy

VA> Shenandoah> 06-27-2020 -- Test Setup Site for Family

Hello All, I am new here, but have found a lot of good information so far, and I think that someone here might be able to help me with a quick question. I have recently gotten back into backpacking and decided to go with a hammock. Of course, wife and kids (8 and 11) want to come now too which is even more exciting (and complicating). So, I've obtained hammocks for them. I initially planned on our first overnight other than the yard being in Shenandoah on an easy trail just hiking in a mile or so, setting up, hanging out, cooking and sleeping then heading out the next day. Unfortunately, that's not going to fly with my 8-year old. She's going to need more time to adjust before being in the woods and knowing I've just hung up a bear bag. So, this weekend we're taking a day trip to Shenandoah to scout around, day hike and just be tourists. We're going to enter the park at the Swift Run Gap entrance on Hwy 33 and travel north. I still want to get some time with the kids adjusting to the hammocks, but we won't be staying the night in them. We will be staying Saturday night outside the park. Does anyone have a recommendation of a trailhead or parking area where we could easily access a suitable site to setup four hammocks and act like we're camping for an hour or so, just to put the hammocks up all together and spend some time in them reading or chatting? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give! Sorry for short notice.
    Last edited by Eastbynoreast; 06-26-2020 at 14:14. Reason: Fix thread title

• + New Posts