5/13 - 5/18/20 (5 nights)

The road to Cataloochee is closed for construction, so the only way to get there is long hikes. I liked the idea of having the whole valley to myself I originally was thinking of hiking in from Polls Gap off Balsam Mountain Road, but the Blue Ridge Parkway was closed so I could not get there. Then while poking around on the park website I noticed a message that said you could pitch a tent near the AT shelters. Normally you have to sleep in the shelters unless you are an AT thru-hiker, so I usually avoid the shelters since I don't like people and I'm not a fan of the shelter mice. But if I could pitch a tent (actually hang a hammock) then maybe it would be ok. So, I decided to do a longer trip and see a new part of the park.

Overview of trip
Newfound Gap => Pecks Corner Shelter => Laurel Gap Shelter => Pretty Hollow (#39) => Enloe Creek (#47) => Icewater Spring Shelter => Newfound Gap

Caltopo says 68 miles and 11500' elevation gain/loss

There were a ton of dayhikers going to Charlies Bunion or The Jumpoff. One of the dayhikers was a solo young woman with a dog. I like to politely call out dogs on the trails, so I mentioned that if a ranger saw her she was going to get a large ticket. She stuttered a bit and said it was a service dog. I decided not to mention that it was off leash and did not have a vest or anything

When I got to the Icewater Spring Shelter, there was this message, so the tent thing made sense.

View from Charlies Bunion

Sunset through the trees at Pecks Corner

Next morning was hiking in the clouds

Lots of wildflowers once I dropped off the ridge

Bear running away, I wish they would pause for 5 more seconds

Palmer Chapel in Cataloochee

Caldwell Barn

Cataloochee Valley (it was weird and awesome being the only person in the whole valley)

Bridge on Balsam Mountain Road

Big Trees

I got to Enloe Creek (Site #47) around 6 pm and had a bit of a panic. It is a very tiny campsite squeezed in between the side of the mountain and the gorge of the creek. It is the only campsite I have seen in the Smokies that is bad for hammocks. I actually pulled out the map and started thinking about hiking another 5ish miles and 1500' up and down to the next site before I decided I could make it work. It was a stretch, but I managed.

Interesting leaves

and in B&W

Back on the AT, looking down into NC

Back to Charlies Bunion. There were a couple people there, but again not crowded. This guy offered to move when he saw my camera, I thanked him but said there was no need. He provided a little bit of perspective.

Icewater Spring Shelter was crowded. There were a couple thru-hikers and a young couple from Michigan sleeping in the shelter and a bunch of people scattered around the broader area. I talked to some people and enjoyed the view with my dinner.

Last day was short and wet, view from the parking lot

lots more photos and details if you are interested (no ads) https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com...taloochee.html