I am a longtime camper/backpacker. I grew up in Western Colorado, but ended up here in Virginia about 20 years ago. The truth is I have never camped with a hammock. I have several friends who think I would like it if I tried it, but as I look into it, I am finding that it's not one size fits all.

My first thought was wondering how people carry all this stuff as I started adding up the weight. I'm 61. I am becoming an ultra light weeny because don't feel like carrying that much weight anymore. I guess I'm getting lazy...

I've done a bit of homework and am beginning to understand that I really know very little about hammocks. I bought a cheepy to test hang with, but the suspension was too heavy for hiking. I got Dyneema whoopees and tree huggers for it. (I told you I was becoming a weight weeny) I think I have the tarp solved, but there is still the bug net to talk about. I should probably set things up in the woods by the house before I take it to the park. We'll see how that goes. (I live a mile from the national park)

I plan on changing out the cheepy for a good one once I figure out what I need. I don't mind investing money in good gear, but I want to purchase the right gear the first time. (Figuring the right anything is difficult because I'm dyslexic)