Hey Hammockers,

With a day off and most of my favorite places in the Angeles National Forest off-limits, I took the dirt road down to Ball Flat and parked at the first turn-out, bore my pack and set out on a stroll around the piney knolls.

After a few miles with a relatively full pack load (getting my back used to walking with this much ahead of a Whitney Portal hike planned in the Fall), I scouted a good spot to hang the hammock.

Let's just say, at first it seemed like a good idea until an unseen bunch of fire ants swarmed my tree huggers. After winning the fight for my webbing, off I went in search of a new spot.

This was the second time out with the Expedition, and I have learned my lesson regarding its rope suspension. The stock cords feel oversized for their application and don't take knots as well as I've liked using other cord for other applications. Time for CLs and whoopies I already have from Dutchware.

The tarp, likewise, may need some upgrades for the ridgeline ties and I'm all ears fellas. I opted for half porch mode today as some sun shelter. The breeze was welcome.

All-in-all it was a great day relaxing in the hammock after some good miles, mostly under the sun, exploring a very quiet location.

IMG_3251.jpeg