Another DIY project brought to you by Shelter-In-Place.

Last month I made a few small pieces of gear; rain cover, dcf sacks, and a climashield pillow. This time around I wanted to try something a bit more complex so I opted for a top quilt. Not rocket science, but enough of a challenge to wrangle in my tiny Brooklyn apartment and keep my mind busy.

This is pretty much a copy of my Enlightened Equipment long+wide Revelation and comes in just about an ounce heavier.

During the measuring and cutting process, I quickly realized how nice it would be to have a large table or open space to layout the material. I was constantly having to fold and unfold the material. Probably took me somewhere between 2 and 3 hours to get the measurements right and then the material cut to length.

Had to rip 4 or 5 short sections of the seam and re-sew layers that had slipped out of place during my initial pass. A tedious endeavor, but worth taking the time to make it as close to "right" as possible.

Materials cost about $70, all sourced from RSBTR.

Not perfect but happy enough with the results that I'll try again. I think a backpack or UP synthetic top quilt are in my future.

Specs:
  • 3.6 oz Climashield Apex
  • 1.1 oz ripstop nylon - Black (outer)
  • 1.0 oz Hyper D - White (inner)
  • 84" Tall
  • 52" wide (top)
  • 42" wide (bottom)
  • Finished weight: 19.97 oz

IMG_6823.jpg
IMG_6822.jpg
IMG_6821.jpg
IMG_6825.jpg