Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ocean to Lake Trail, Florida

I hiked from Lake Okeechobee to the Atlantic along the Ocean to Lake Trail. I covered the 63 miles in 4 days over new year's eve. I originally wanted to do it in three, but am very glad I took the extra day. Conditions were unseasonably wet to say the least. The water and mud slowed my down and made the trip more difficult than I had anticipated. The only rain I got was a bit the first day. I'd say 75 to 80% of the trail had some amount of standing water. Still, I had a great time.

I was going to take along my lightest hammock, DIY from monolite. When I saw MikekiM's report that his monolite troubles, I took a different one instead. My pack weighed 24 pounds with all food and one liter of water, 8.2 pounds of which were food. I ended the hike with a bit of excess food, and some unworn clothing, so I suppose I could have saved a pound or so. I particularly enjoyed going to sleep under the stars and waking up to watch the dawn since I didn't have my tarp staked out.

1 Dupuis depth.jpg2 Main canal.jpg3 Corbett wet.jpg4 Bowman Island hang.jpg5 Pond crossing.jpg6 Lox tower view.jpg7 Lox wet.jpg8 Soggy soggy socks.jpg9 Canal filter.jpg10 Near beach.jpg11 Last morning.jpg12 Hobe Sound Beach.jpg
    Last edited by HMLCK; 01-14-2020 at 08:16.

• + New Posts