Hey folks, it's been a LONG while since I posted anything and I hope you're all well.

Years ago when I was doing research for my book there was some discussion about the technical name for what has grown to become the "hammock knot." Many folks on this forum much more technical than I made the argument that what I initially called a sheet bend (or slipper sheet bend) (ABOK #1437) was more aptly called a becket hitch (ABOK #1431). Like any good researcher, I invested in the tome (ABOK is a BIG, expensive book!) and did as much research as I could to make sure I was sharing accurate information.

Anyway, fast forward a few years and becket hitch has certainly gained traction as the de facto name (and that is what I have been referring to it ever since), but recent conversations I've had have made me want to re-confirm. Now, I'm not asking for a debate or to stir the pot, per se, but I really would like to hear from as many knowledgeable knot experts to either confirm or refute with clarity what may be at this point a purely academic exercise.

Here is my understanding:

1. A sheet bend is so called because it is tied using a bend on one end, whether that be a fabric (e.g., a sheet or sail cloth), or another rope.

2. A becket hitch, while tied nearly identically to the sheet bend, differs only in that instead of a bend, the working end is tied to a closed loop.

Let me be completely transparent. At the end of the day, I really don't care too too much on whether the knot is more properly called a "sheet bend" or a "becket hitch" (I'm not working on a PhD in Reefing), because I'm much more interested in helping folks improve their hammock experience and use effective systems. I think also that "becket hitch" has gained enough traction that trying to correct the name may be futile (if it needs to be). This post is more an academic exercise as I would like to hear from as many knot experts their thoughts.

Thanks!