I've been patiently waiting for cold weather, since the arrival of my HH SS, last month. Finally, last night, it was supposed to get down to freezing for several hours, so I hung everything in my backyard, and got to it.

Since I have no cold weather experience, and also haven't hung in my hammock much, this year, I wanted to go overboard on warmth and comfort (full list below), then peel off layers over subsequent nights to see how little I can use at various temps. I suspect I had too much warmth, but I wasn't so hot that I was noticeably sweating (yes, I know about imperceptible perspiration, and there was obviously a lot going on!).

When I gave up at midnight, I had an actual puddle under my butt. Although I would never take cotton into the woods, I hadn't bothered swapping out my city-wear cotton briefs, and they were soaked through. While I was warm, I hadn't even noticed, but when I went inside, a change of clothes was required before I crawled into bed.

Equipment Specs:
HH Expedition
SuperShelter undercover
45-year-old down sleeping bag (under OCF pad) open, in single layer
OCF pad
mylar blanket (between OCF pad and hammock)
Hammock Gear Econ Burrow 20 °F top quilt

Clothing Specs:
wool/nylon puffy socks
cotton briefs (never again!)
lightweight capilene long johns
polyester T-shirt
midweight fleece jacket
thin face mask
beanie

Would a wicking layer (fleece blanket? chamois?) under my backside---inside the hammock---work? Would it pull the condensation to the cool air outside my top quilt and evaporate?

I would believe that I didn't need the extra insulation in my undercover, but I would like to find a combo that works all night...I don't want to have to get out and add something when the temp dips.

I've tried to read a bunch of old threads, and it seems that maybe some people are just soggier sleepers than others. Do I have to admit my physiological shortcomings and find another solution? I really wanted to love this system.