Hey for those of you in Upstate New York (Buffalo/Rochester) as well as Southern Ontario:

Mark Baldwin and I will be hiking out to the Lean-To in Darien Lakes State Park, just off of the Conservation Trail, for an overnight hang that we'd like to share with other hangers here in the WNY area. This will be a family-friendly overnight experience just a short hike from the parking locations north and south of the park. We tried to find someplace central to the region, and expect that we'll do a little planning for the next one whenever we end up settling in. Everyone is welcome, there is plenty of space for hangers, tenters, and I think there should be some space in the lean-to if someone needs it.

Here's the trail map of the area: https://fingerlakestrail.org/plan-hi...es-state-park/

Planning details:
  • Plan on showing up sometime in the afternoon. We can't reserve the space since it's primitive camping but I doubt we'll have to compete.
  • This is a hike-in activity, so please bring your own gear and food and drinks (if you want them).
  • Wear boots, it's a little marshy hiking in.
  • If we are going to have a campfire, I think we need to have people bring in some firewood.
  • I "think" that there's water nearby but don't be afraid to carry in a couple of liters if you are going to need it for cooking, etc... Worst case we'll have to backtrack to the creek to get refills if you need it.
  • Please reply to this thread, letting us know that you're coming as well as if you're bringing firewood.