I had a wonderful four day solo backpacking trip in the heart of the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. Located on the south shore of Lake Superior on the upper peninsula of Michigan.

Michigan's largest park at more than 60,000 acres, the park offers over 90 miles of hiking trails and 63 backcountry campsites. The park is known for being the home of the Lake of the Clouds, a scenic overlook.

On day one, I hiked the Encarpment Trails and some of the Lake Superior Trail. The Autumn colors over Lake of the Clouds made for some great views. A sunset over Lake Superior wasn't too shabby either.

On day two, I hiked the Lake Superior Trail to the Mouth of the Big Carp River. I then hiked up the west side of the Big Carp River Trail and cut across the Correction Trail. I then hiked to Mirror Lake to camp for the night.

On day three, I hiked from Mirror Lake up to Lake of the Clouds and then hiked east on the Big Carp River Trail back to the Correction Trail and back to Mirror Lake to camp for the night. It was a cold, rain, wet day. Some good video and built some character...right? Finished the day with a campfire (thanks Bob) by the lake.

On the final day, hiked muddy Government Trail back to my car. The trail features some great waterfalls.