I am a newbie trying to get a set up going. This summer I had a Hennessey hammock and loved it for my first hammock. Now I'm going lighter with a different brand. As the weather has turned colder, I am completely over fussing with a sleeping bag and pad. I'm getting an underquilt ASAP. I will eventually also get the top quilt. My future goal is to hike the entire AT in about 6 years b/c it just takes that long for a private school underpaid teacher to afford all the gear! So my question is, would a 0 degree underquilt be over kill for the AT starting in February? If I did get a 0 degree underquilt, does my top quilt also need to be 0 degree? I have very little fat on my body and get cold very easily. Last night it got down to 38 and I had 2 walmart sleeping bags, 2 blankets, 2 pairs of sweat pants and long johns on and 2 sweatshirts and a t-shirt on along with my hat and gloves. I was VERY comfortable. But boy what a hassle! Obviously I get cold easily.
I just need help picking out the degree ratings in top and bottom quilts when working together. Is two 0 degree bags over doing it for the AT? I'm getting down quilts btw.